Background and CVWith a PhD from IIES, Harstad held the Max McGraw Chair of Management and the Environment at MEDS/Kellogg/Northwestern until 2013. He received an ERC Starting grant 2012 and a Consolidator grant 2016. He is an associate at TSE and CREE/Frisch, a co-editor of JEEA, and, from May, 2021, a managing editor of RESTUD.
- Curriculum Vitae: CV (pdf).
- The Conservation Multiplier (♣)
Journal of Political Economy.
- Contracts and Induced Institutional Change (♣)
with Torben Mideksa.
Journal of Law, Economics, & Organization.
- A Theory of Pledge-and-Review Bargaining (♠)
Journal of Economic Theory.
- Pledge-and-Review Bargaining: From Kyoto to Paris (♠)
- Policies and Instruments for Self-enforcing Agreements (♠)
with Francesco Lancia and Alessia Russo. January 2021.
- The Choice of Certifier in Endogenous Markets (♥)
with Jacopo Bizzotto. March 2021.
- Informative Activism vs. Lobbying (♥)
with Georgy Egorov. Under revision.
- Conservation Contracts for Exhaustible Resources (♣)
with Nils Chr. Framstad. Under revision.
- Trade and Trees (♣)
- Technology and Time Inconsistency (♠)
Journal of Political Economy 128(7), 2020: 2653-89.
- The Political Economy of Weak Treaties (♦)
with Marco Battaglini
Journal of Political Economy 128(2), 2020: 544–90.
- Gridlock and Inefficient Policy Instruments (♥)
with David Austen-Smith, Wioletta Dziuda, Antoine Loeper
Theoretical Economics 14(4), 2019: 1483–1534.
- The Case for a Supply-Side Climate Treaty (♣)
w. Asheim, Fæhn, Nyborg, Greaker, Hagem, Hoel, Lund, Rosendahl
Science Policy Forum 365(6451), 2019.
- Compliance Technology and Self-enforcing Agreements (♠)
with Francesco Lancia and Alessia Russo
Journal of the European Economic Association 17(1), 2019: 1-30.
- Conservation Contracts and Political Regimes (♣)
with Torben Mideksa
Review of Economic Studies 84(4), 2017: 1708-34.
- Private Politics and Public Regulation (♥)
with Georgy Egorov
Review of Economic Studies 84(4), 2017: 1652-82.
- Participation and Duration of Environmental Agreements (♠)
with Marco Battaglini
Journal of Political Economy 124(1), 2016: 160-204.
- The Dynamics of Climate Agreements (♠)
Journal of the European Economic Association 14(3), 2016: 719-52.
- The Market for Conservation and Other Hostages (♣)
Journal of Economic Theory 166(November), 2016: 124-51.
- Experimentation in Federal Systems (♦)
with Steve Callander
Quarterly Journal of Economics 130(2), 2015: 951-1002.
- Buy Coal! A Case for Supply-Side Environmental Policy (♣)
Journal of Political Economy 120(1), 2012: 77-115
○ Reprinted in Copeland (Ed.) Recent Developments in Trade and the Environment.
- Climate Contracts: A Game of Emissions, Investments, Negotiations, and Renegotiations (♠)
Review of Economic Studies 79(4), 2012: 1527-57
○ Reprinted in Finus & Caparros (Eds.) Game Theory and International Environmental Cooperation: Essential Readings.
- Bribes, Lobbying, and Development (♥)
with Jakob Svensson
American Political Science Review 105(1), 2011: 46-63
○ Reprinted in Dutta and Aidt (Eds.), Corruption and Economic Development. The International Library of Critical Writings in Economics.
- Trading for the Future: Signaling in Permit Markets (♥)
with Gunnar Eskeland
Journal of Public Economics 94(9-10), 2010: 749-60.
- Strategic Delegation and Voting Rules (♦)
Journal of Public Economics 94(1-2), 2010: 102-113.
- Do Side Payments Help? Collective Decisions and Strategic Delegation (♦)
Journal of the European Economic Association P&P 6(2-3), 2008: 468-77.
- Harmonization and Side Payments in Political Cooperation (♦)
American Economic Review 97(3), 2007: 871-89.
- Organizational Form and the Market for Talent
Journal of Labor Economics 25(3), 2007: 581-611.
- Flexible Integration? Mandatory and Minimum Participation Rules (♦)
Scandinavian Journal of Economics 108(4), 2006: 683-702.
- Majority Rules and Incentives (♦)
Quarterly Journal of Economics 120(4), 2005: 535-68.
- 3 recent articles are reprinted in books (see CV).
- Improving Paris: Credibility, Technology, and Conservation (♣)
Coping with the Climate Crisis (Arezki et al., Eds.), 2018, Columbia University Press.
- Political Treaties as Incomplete Contracts (♠)
The Impact of Incomplete Contracts on Economics (Aghion et al., Eds.), 2016, Oxford University Press.
- Games and Resources (♠)
with Matti Liski. Encyclopedia of Energy, Natural Resource, and Environmental Economics 2013, vol. 2: 299-308.
- How to Negotiate and Update Climate Agreements (♠)
Post-Kyoto International Climate Policy (Aldy and Stavins, Eds.), Cambridge University Press, 2009.
- Book review of Environmental Markets: A Property Rights Approach
(by Anderson and Libecap).
Journal of Economic Literature 53(3), 2015.
- Climate Contracts (♠), MIT Press.
- Trade deals could combat Brazil’s Amazon deforestation (♣), 2019.
- Pay countries to keep their fossil fuels in the ground (♣), 2013.
- Trade could hold the key to a climate deal (♠), 2009.
- Norwegian Op-Eds in DN and Aftenposten, 2012-2021.
- Dynamic Games in Environmental Economics, PhD Minicourse.
- Environmental Economics and Climate Change, MIT 2019.
- Environmental Economics, Master course.
- Advanced Micro, PhD course.
- Erik Kempe Award, 2019, with Torben Mideksa.
- ERC Consolidator Grant, 2016-21.
- Erik Kempe Award, 2013.
- Fridtjof Nansen Award for Young Researchers, 2013.
- One of 10 foremost Norwegian scholars below 40, Morgenbladet.
- ERC Starting Grant, 2012-16.
- Sandmo junior visiting fellowship, 2008, from NHH (first recipient).
- Arnbergska Prize, 2006, The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences.
- Nasjonalgaven til Chr. Michelsen, 2000.
Theory & political economics of the environment (survey):
♠ ♠ Dynamic games of emissions, technology, and treaties,
♣ ♠ Conservation and supply-side environmental policy,
♦ ♠ Political economics of agreements and federalism,
♥ ♠ Political economics of regulation.
Book in progress...
Popular (Financial Times)
| CV | Research | WPs | Publications | Op-Eds | Teaching | Awards | Follow @BardHarstad