Current academic interests
Technology and Time Inconsistency, R&R'ed Nov. 2018, JPE
Gridlock and Inefficient Policy Instruments
with David Austen-Smith, Wiola Dziuda, and Antoine Loeper, R&R Theoretical Economics
Contracts and Induced Institutional Change
with Torben Mideksa, Reject&R, RAND
Pledge-and-Review Bargaining, September '18
The Political Economy of Weak Treaties
with Marco Battaglini, forthcoming
Journal of Political Economy
Compliance Technology and Self-enforcing Agreements
with Francesco Lancia and Alessia Russo
Journal of the European Economic Association 17(1), 2019: 1-30.
Conservation Contracts and Political Regimes
with Torben Mideksa
Review of Economic Studies 84(4), 2017: 1708-34.
Private Politics and Public Regulation
with Georgy Egorov
Review of Economic Studies 84(4), 2017: 1652-82.
Participation and Duration of Environmental Agreements
with Marco Battaglini
Journal of Political Economy 124(1), 2016: 160-204
The Dynamics of Climate Agreements
Journal of the European Economic Association 14(3), 2016: 719-752
The Market for Conservation and Other Hostages
Journal of Economic Theory 166(November), 2016: 124-151
Experimentation in Federal Systems
with Steve Callander
Quarterly Journal of Economics 130(2), 2015: 951-1002
Buy Coal! A Case for Supply-Side Environmental Policy
Journal of Political Economy 120(1), 2012: 77-115
○ Reprinted in Copeland (Ed.) Recent Developments in Trade and the Environment
Climate Contracts: A Game of Emissions, Investments, Negotiations, and Renegotiations
Review of Economic Studies 79(4), 2012: 1527-57
○ Reprinted in Finus & Caparros (Eds.) Game Theory and International Environmental Cooperation: Essential Readings
Bribes, Lobbying, and Development
with Jakob Svensson
American Political Science Review 105(1), 2011: 46-63
○ Reprinted in Dutta and Aidt (Eds.), Corruption and Economic Development. The International Library of Critical Writings in Economics
Trading for the Future: Signaling in Permit Markets
with Gunnar Eskeland
Journal of Public Economics 94(9-10), 2010: 749-760
Strategic Delegation and Voting Rules
Journal of Public Economics 94(1-2), 2010: 102-113
Do Side Payments Help? Collective Decisions and Strategic Delegation
Journal of the European Economic Association P&P 6(2-3), 2008: 468-477
Harmonization and Side Payments in Political Cooperation
American Economic Review 97(3), 2007: 871-889
Organizational Form and the Market for Talent
Journal of Labor Economics 25(3), 2007: 581-611
Flexible Integration? Mandatory and Minimum Participation Rules
Scandinavian Journal of Economics 108(4), 2006: 683-702
Majority Rules and Incentives
Quarterly Journal of Economics 120(4), 2005: 535-568
Book in progress
Climate Contracts, in progress (MIT Press).
3 recent articles are reprinted in books (see CV)
Improving Paris: Credibility, Technology, and Conservation
Coping with the Climate Crisis (Arezki et al., Eds.), 2018, Columbia University Press.
Political Treaties as Incomplete Contracts
The Impact of Incomplete Contracts on Economics (Aghion et al., Eds.), 2016, Oxford University Press.
Games and Resources
with Matti Liski.
Encyclopedia of Energy, Natural Resource, and Environmental Economics 2013, vol. 2: 299-308.
How to Negotiate and Update Climate Agreements
Post-Kyoto International Climate Policy (Aldy and Stavins, Eds.) Cambridge University Press, 2009.
Book review of Environmental Markets: A Property Rights Approach
(by Anderson and Libecap)
Journal of Economic Literature 53(3), 2015.
- Environmental Economics and Climate Change, MIT January 21-31, 2019.
- Dynamic Games in Environmental Economics, PhD Minicourse.
- Environmental Economics, MS course.
- Advanced Micro, PhD course.
- ERC Consolidator Grant 2016-21
- Erik Kempe Award 2013
- Fridtjof Nansen Award for Young Researchers 2013
- Named "one of the 10 foremost Norwegian scholars below 40" (Morgenbladet)
- ERC Starting Grant, 2012-16
- Sandmo junior visiting fellowship 2008, from NHH (first recipient)
- Arnbergska Prize 2006, The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences
- Nationalgaven til Chr. Michelsen, 2000