ARENA conducts theoretically founded and empirically informed research on the emerging European political order. We ask the questions:
- What are the basic characteristics and the key components of the new emerging order?
- How it is this new order transformed?
- What are the implications for member state governing arrangements and for the citizens of Europe?
Find a researcher
Search for name or research topic keywords
After the euro crisis in 2009, the common currency was heavily criticised by many politicians. But how do European citizens perceive the euro?
'The EU has done exactly as expected: very little', says ARENA researcher Jarle Trondal, and explains why the EU has not reacted more quickly to Covid-19.
Can the relationship between the non-member Norway and the EU be used as a model for the UK after Brexit?
Researchers in the Horizon 2020-project EU3D just started a four-year quest to find out how much and what type of differentiation is sustainable and legitimate in Europe.
Members of the European Parliament have gained great influence in trade policy, thereby challenging the national monopolies of power. Often, they are perceived as a disturbing element in international negotiations, explains Guri Rosén.
A research group at ARENA Centre for European Studies headed by Prof. John Erik Fossum has succeeded in a highly competitive bid for international research funding.
If the EU admits that it is a federation, the Union might be better able to strike the right balance between the supranational and national levels. Professor John Erik Fossum wants to revive the controversial concept.
ARENA is excited about the flying start of our Horizon2020 project PLATO, a PhD network that studies the EU's legitimacy in the wake of the financial crisis.
- Covid-19, the EU and geopolitics June 11, 2020
- The world with viruses: Strengthening European cooperation June 8, 2020
- GLOBUS researchers present findings in the European Parliament Feb. 28, 2020
- How are Policy Knowledge and Expertise Generated in Civil Society Organisations? Mapping Opportunities for Learning in the European Women’s Lobby
- EU Differentiation, Dominance and the Control Function of Journalism
- Global Justice and Aid Effectiveness: Reforms of the European Union’s Development Policy
Expertization of public inquiry commissions in a Europeanized administrative order
The Post-Crisis Legitimacy of the European Union