- Science and Technology studies (STS)
- Care studies
- History of science, culture and medicine
- Human-animal studies
Tone Druglitrø's has a background in social anthropology and cultural and environmental studies, and a PhD in STS and Ethics. Her work combines an interest in STS, human-animal studies and history of medicine, veterinary science, and public health. She has been particularly interested in how science and politics work upon, modify, care for, and regulate relationships with nonhumans and our natural environments. Integral to these interests, is to trace and understand the values and ethics that are shaped in knowledge practices and emerge from encounters between humans, nonhumans and natural environments. Pursuing this interdisciplinary research trajectory, Tone has published on the role of animal models for the development of modern medicine and public health, on ethics, expertise and care in laboratory animal research, on technical and regulatory infrastructures around animal husbandry and care, and multispecies biopolitics.
Tone is currently Ieading the RCN Young Researcher Talent project ResBod: Resisting Bodies: The Politics and Practices of the Immune System. This project explores the different ways knowledge about the immune system emerges, and how the immune system and immunological relations figure in politics that aim to ensure the health of human and nonhuman animal bodies and environmental sustainability.
Teaching and supervision
Tone has been the program leader of the TIK master program and the ESST master program, 2017-2021. She has for several years been responsible for coordinating and teaching in the introductory module "TIK4001 Teknologi, innovasjon og kunnskap". Every spring, Tone teaches in the STS specialisation (TIK4011) on the topic of multispecies biopolitics, care and valuation. She has supervised a number of MA thesis on various topics such as controversies on human-animal relations, care in science, telecare and its various social and political implications, the role of social media in society and politics, digital modes of governing public health, and technical innovations in public transport.
Representative for temporary staff, TIK Board
Expert member, National Research Ethics Committee in Science and Technology (NENT)(2014-)
Expert member/NENT representative, National Committee for Research Ethics on Human Remains (2020-)
Working group (2015-2018): Animals in Science and Research Ethics. [Output: Forskningsetiske retningslinjer for bruk av dyr i forskning (2018)] (NENT)
Working group (2018-2019): Artificial Intelligence and Research Ethics .[Output: Forskningsetisk betenkning om kunstig intelligens forskning (2019)] (NENT)
- Maternity leave: December 2015-September 2016
- Postdoctoral fellow in STS, TIK: 2013-2017
- University Pedagogy, 2014
- PhD in Science and Technology studies, TIK and the Ethics Programme, UiO: 2008-2012.
- Research assistant, TIK, UiO: 2006 - 2008. Research assistant, Forum for University History, UiO: 2006 - 2008. Assistant on the book project on the history of University of Oslo 200 years.
- Master of Philosophy in Culture, Environment and Sustainability, Centre for Development and the Environment. Thesis submitted spring 2006 entitled: ‘Power, Ethics and the role of Animal Experimentation among Veterinary Students at NVH
- Bjørkdahl, Kristian & Druglitrø, Tone (2019). When Authority Goes Viral: Digital Communication and Health Expertise on pandemi.no, In Kristian Bjørkdahl & Benedicte Carlsen (ed.), Pandemics, Publics, and Politics - Staging Responses to Public Health Crises. Palgrave Pivot. ISBN 978-981-13-2801-5. Chapter 6. s 75 - 91
- Druglitrø, Tone (2021, 14. januar). Forsökdjuren - om liven som används i jakten på kunskap.. [Internett]. PodMe.
- Druglitrø, Tone (2020, 30. mars). Mennesker og virus. Hvem har skylda for coronaviruset?. [TV]. Norsk Rikskringkasting.
- Druglitrø, Tone (2020, 17. april). Utfordrer samspillet mellom dyr og menneske. [Internett]. forskning.no.
- Druglitrø, Tone (2020). Vaksinemotstandens fall?. Forskningsetikk. ISSN 1502-6353. 20(3), s 26- 27
- Druglitrø, Tone (2020). Virusutbrudd er et økologisk problem. Avisa Vårt land.
- Druglitrø, Tone (2019). Makt og bestialitet under det franske eneveldet. Salongen.no.
- Druglitrø, Tone (2019). Negotiating monkey lifetimes: Exploring practices of quarantining, containment and trade of laboratory animals.
- Druglitrø, Tone (2019). "Paper Care": Animal Research Applications as Genre.
- Druglitrø, Tone (2019). Å studere etikk og verdier i praksis: Materiell-semiotiske perspektiver på menneske-dyr relasjoner.