Synøve Nygaard Andersen
Punishment and corrections, policy-evaluations, drug policy, recidivism, comparative justice, criminal networks, family and employment, quantitative methods, social network analysis, causal analysis
Synøve N. Andersen holds a PhD in sociology from the University of Oslo (2017). She was employed at the Research Department at Statistics Norway between 2012 and 2020, where she worked on projects in the overlap of sociology, criminology, demography and economics. Between 2018 and 2020 she also held a part-time position as an Associate Professor of Empirical Legal Studies at the Department of Criminology and Sociology of Law, before she started as a postdoctoral fellow at the Department of Sociology and Human Geography in March of 2020. Her postdoctoral position is a part of the PROMENTA Research Center’s working group Drug Policy Reform. For her postdoc Andersen will, amongst other things, explore the impact of criminal justice contacts on crime, drug use and employment trajectories, and combine network and spatial analyses to assess the social and spatial properties of illicit networks in Oslo.
Broadly speaking Andersen’s work has focused on the ways in which public policy affects individual behavior, and in particular in the ways in which correctional policy and programming affect employment, family relations and recidivism. She also works on co-offending networks and is especially interested in the processes that precede co-offending and the effect of co-offending on subsequent criminal behavior.
Andersen is also a faculty affiliate at the Department of Criminology and Justice studies at Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA, where she teaches on Norwegian corrections and are co-instructor on an intensive course abroad about Scandinavian criminal justice.
- Andersen, Synøve Nygaard; Holmboe, Morten & Skardhamar, Torbjørn (2021). Fører endringer i loven til endringer i rettspraksis?: En empirisk analyse av straffutmåling i voldsdommer etter en endring av den norske straffeloven. Nordisk Tidsskrift for Kriminalvidenskab. ISSN 0029-1528. 108(1), s 8- 26
- Andersen, Synøve Nygaard; Hyatt, Jordan M. & Telle, Kjetil (2020). Exploring the unintended consequences of implementing electronic monitoring on sentencing in Norway. Nordic Journal of Criminology. ISSN 2578-983X. 21(2), s 129- 151 . doi: 10.1080/2578983X.2020.1805235
- Lappegård, Trude; Duvander, Ann-Zofie; Neyer, Gerda; Viklund, Ida; Andersen, Synøve Nygaard & Garðarsdóttir, Ólöf (2020). Fathers’ Use of Parental Leave and Union Dissolution. European Journal of Population. ISSN 0168-6577. 36, s 1- 25 . doi: 10.1007/s10680-019-09518-z Full text in Research Archive.
- Andersen, Synøve Nygaard (2019). Co-offending in Norway: A comparative perspective, In Saskia Hufnagel & Anton Moiseienko (ed.), Criminal networks and law enforcement: Global international perspectives on illicit enterprise. Routledge. ISBN 978-0-8153-8600-1. Chaper 2. s 7 - 27
- Andersen, Synøve Nygaard (2019). Partners in Crime? Post-Release Recidivism among Solo and Co-Offenders in Norway. Nordic Journal of Criminology. ISSN 2578-983X. 20(2), s 112- 137 . doi: 10.1080/2578983X.2019.1606492
- Andersen, Synøve Nygaard & Telle, Kjetil (2019). Better Out Than In? The Effect of Replacing Incarceration with Electronic Monitoring on Recidivism in Norway. European Journal of Criminology. ISSN 1477-3708. . doi: 10.1177/1477370819887515
- Duvander, Ann-Zofie; Lappegård, Trude; Andersen, Synøve Nygaard; Gardarsdóttir, Ólöf; Neyer, Gerda & Viklund, Ida (2019). Parental leave policies and continued childbearing in Iceland, Norway, and Sweden. Demographic Research. ISSN 1435-9871. 40, s 1501- 1528 . doi: 10.4054/DEMRES.2019.40.51 Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Andersen, Synøve Nygaard & Adsera, Alicia (2020). Bør flyktninger bosettes i byer? Sysselsettinger blant flyktninger bosatt i by og bygd.
- Andersen, Synøve Nygaard (2019). Innvandrere begår sjeldnere kriminalitet sammen med andre: Gruppekriminalitet blant innvandrere og i resten av befolkningen. SSB analyse. ISSN 2535-4817. Show summary
- Andersen, Synøve Nygaard; Skardhamar, Torbjørn & Holmboe, Morten (2019). The effect of increased sentence length on recidivism and employment: A reform study of violent offenders sentenced to prison.