Political and economic geographer with a focus on organised labour, the politics of work and social movements. I am interested in the capacity of trade unions to adapt and renew their political strategies during times of change, and more generally in how civil society organisations mobilise. My research portfolio includes empirical studies on the politics of state restructuring, climate change, flexible labour markets and urban informality.
I am the academic coordinator of Osloforskning, a collaboration between the City of Oslo and the University of Oslo (UiO).
SGO1001 - Innføring i Samfunnsgeografi (10 credits)
HGO4010 - Qualitative method (10 credits)
HGO4604 - The Future of Work (10 credits)
SGO1003 - Skrivetrening i samfunnsgeografi (10 credits)
SGO2400 - Politisk geografi (10 credits)
SGO3300 - Sør i en globaliserende verden (10 credits)
- Appointed professor in the field of labour and economic geography since September 2015.
- Employed as associate professor at Department for Sociology and Human Geography since August 2012.
- Employed as senior researcher at Norwegian Institute for Urban and Regional Research (NIBR), Department for International Studies from 2008 to 2012.
- PhD in Human Geography, University of Manchester (UK) in 2008.
- Cand. Polit in Human Geography (UiO) in 2005.
I have been involved in the following research projects:
- WAGE: Work, labour and greening the economy. Financed by the Research Council of Norway. Financed by the Research Council of Norway. (SAMKUL programme, project no 283345). 2018-
- Oil and Gas Transitions
- The Impact of Temporary Work Agencies on the Politics of Work. AFI, UiO and NIBR. Financed by the Research Council of Norway (VAM programme, project no 227021). 2013-2016.
- Power, Welfare and Democracy. Consortium project with University of Gadjah Mada UGM in Yogyakarta, Indonesia.
- Industrial relations under global stress: fragmentation and the potential of representation of workers in the Norwegian hospitality sector. NIBR, UiO and AFI. Financed by the Research Council of Norway (VAM programme, project no 194332). 2009-2012.
- Chance2Sustain, EU 7FP-funded project on social sustainability and participatory spatial knowledge management in 10 cities across India, South Africa, Brazil and Peru. 2009-2014.
- CLIMWAYS Climate change and urban water governance: pathways to social transformation, consortium project funded by SANCOOP (the Research Council of Norway) with NIBR, University of KwaZulu-Natal and University of Cape Town. 2014-2017.
- Religious civil society networks in the Great Lakes region as partners in peace-building processes and in the implementation of UN Security Council Resolution 1325 on Women, Peace and Security. NIBR, Centre for Intercultural Communication (Stavanger), Université Evangelique en Afrique and Université Officielle de Bukavu (Bukavu, DR Congo). Financed by the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs. 2009-2013.
In addition to the supervision of a number of MA students, I supervise:
- a PhD project on resistance to neoliberal reforms by Jørgen Eiken Magdahl at ISS, UiO
- a PhD project about affordable housing and planning for uncertainty in Argentina by Marcin Sliwa, ISS, UiO
- a PhD project on Filipino migrant nurses and deskilling in Norway by Aslaug Gotehus at OsloMet/NOVA
- a PhD project on green skills in petroleum by Maiken Bjerga Kiil at ISS, UiO
- a PhD project on the internationalization of Norwegian state-owned renewable energy interests in Chile by Yngve Heiret as ISS, UiO
- a PhD project on technological change and labour processes in Norwegian shipbuilding by Sondre Thorbjørnsen at FAFO
Accredited teacher status ("merittert underviser") at UiO (2021-2024)
Winner of the 2010 PhD Prize of the Royal Geographical Society (RGS-IBG)'s Economic Geography Research Group.