Guidelines for the project proposal when applying for admission
The quality of the project proposal is the main criterion for assessment when applying for admission to the PhD programme.
What should be included in the project proposal?
The project proposal should be 5 to 10 pages long, font size 12, with single line spacing.
Within these parameters the project proposal should cover:
- the topic
- the research questions, justified by relevant theory and literature
- choice of research methods
- timeline for the project and affiliation with a research community
- resource needs
- literature list
If your PhD project is part of a larger project, you must also describe your independent contribution to the main project.
Individual PhD projects are prepared by the applicant alone. UiO approved supervision of the project will only be given if the application is accepted and the candidate has gained admission to the PhD program.
How is the project proposal assessed?
The project proposal is required to demonstrate good academic quality. You must also show that the project is sufficiently well planned as to make it possible to complete within the given time frame.
In assessing quality, we are looking for:
- Originality in the form of scientific innovation and/or development of new knowledge
- Familiarity with the research issue and documented knowledge of key research within the field
- Specific, relevant formulation of objectives which may be elucidated within the framework of nominal organized research training
- Clarity of research questions and hypotheses
- Operationalization and use of relevant scientific methods and analyses