BREAD - Building Responsibility and Developing Innovative Strategies for Tackling Food Waste
Avoiding food waste is at the heart of food sector’s societal responsibility. While the goal of reducing and avoiding the wasting of food is broadly accepted, the questions how best to do it require reflection.
BREAD seeks to gather the necessary knowledge about effective and efficient solutions that the Norwegian food sector can implement, adopting a broad governance perspective to the grand societal challenge of food waste. For this, we propose to work across scales and look at responsible innovation on the level of policies (providing the context in which RRI occurs), at the level of companies, and finally, at the business/consumer interface.
The total amount of food waste in Norway for the entire value chain was 68.7 kg per inhabitant in 2015, worth 20 billion NOK and equalling 978 000 tonnes of CO2e. What can be done to accelerate the industry’s and national actions targeting food waste?
BREAD is interested in diagnosing the obstacles for responsible innovation in the food sector and identifying innovation potential that can be unlocked. Our study will be conducted at 3 levels: of policies, firms and on the meeting point of individual consumers and food industry actors. This is reflected in the organization of the project, with 3 Work Packages covering these levels and the fourth aimed at a learning process at Integration. They ask 4 questions:
- How can European regulatory experiences enhance responsible innovation in Norway’s food sector?
- How can best CSR practices & RRI experiences be scaled-up?
- How can consumer perceptions of (co)responsibility in the food sector inform companies responsible innovation?
- How to integrate all RRI dimensions to unlock multidirectional learning and food waste reduction innovation?
BREAD is financed by the Research Council of Norway's SAMANSVAR programme.
BREAD is coordinated by TIK Centre for technology, innovation and culture, and led by Julia Szulecka. There are three partner institutions:
- REMARC, University of Pisa
- Matvett AS
- Julia Szulecka (2020). TIK4040 Project presentations.
- Julia Szulecka (2020). BREAD – Building REsponsibility And Developing Innovative Strategies for Tackling Food Waste..
- Julia Szulecka (2020). Ongoing research in BREAD: Working with the Norwegian food sector.
- Julia Szulecka (2020). Ongoing research and progress in BREAD.
- (2020). BREAD project website.
- (2020). BREAD nettside.
- Julia Szulecka (2020). Food waste in the COVID-19 era: Can the state coerce consumer responsibility?. AFINO Blog.
- Julia Szulecka (2020). Will the European Green Deal push for more food waste reductions?. AFINO Blog.
- Julia Szulecka (2019). Tackling Food Waste.
- Julia Szulecka (2019). Building REsponsibility And Developing Innovative Strategies for Tackling Food Waste.