Submission of the thesis
What should I think about before submitting the thesis for adjudication?
Early in the programme
- Familiarize yourself with the requirements laid down for a thesis
- Familiarize yourself with the criteria according to which theses are judged
Documentation of educational component
- All candidates at the Faculty of Social Sciences should make use of StudentWeb. All courses that you have taken should be registered here
- Remember that it is your responsibility to ensure that the entire educational component is approved and registered in StudentWeb well before you submit your thesis
Well before submission
- Advise the PhD executive officer in your unit that the thesis will soon be ready for submission, so that the work of composing an adjudication committee may commence
- Submit a brief summary of the thesis (1-3 pages in English) that can be sent to the relevant committee members
How do I submit the thesis?
Where is the thesis submitted?
The thesis and all accompanying documents is submitted through an online form (nettskjema) to the unit to which you are affiliated. Contact the PhD executive at your unit to receive the link to the online form.
What should be submitted?
The online form (Application for evaluation of the thesis at the Faculty of Social Sciences.)
- The thesis as a PDF file. The thesis should be saved as a PDF-file and should not be scanned.
- Co-authorship declarations
Are you submitting a reworked thesis?
If you have been recommended to submit a reworked version of your thesis within a given time frame, you must submit this to the unit in the same way as described above. The submission counts as part of your first submission. You submit a cover letter addressed to the adjudication committee and marked “Submission of reworked thesis” in which you briefly describe the changes made.
Are you submitting for the second time?
You submit in the same manner as for the first submission.
No cooling-off period
You cannot withdraw a PhD that has been submitted for adjudication.
What happens following submission of the thesis?
You will normally receive a message regarding the composition of the adjudication committee within four weeks of submission.
What do I do while I am waiting for the adjudication?
- Prepare your thesis manuscript for printing, including a list of possible errata
- Prepare the personal details form and press release, see Practical preparations before public defense and printing
- Ensure that all information in StudentWeb is correct (in Norwegian)
When the report is available
The adjudication committee sends its report to the unit. The PhD executive officer sends you the report for any comments before it can be approved by the faculty.