Elin Haugsgjerd Allern
- Dr. polit. (PhD, political science) from the University of Oslo (2002-2006)
- Joined Dep. of Political Science (ISV), University of Oslo (UiO), in 2008, professor since 2013.
- Visiting research fellow, Dep. of Politics and Contemporary European Studies, University of Sussex, spring 2011
- Senior researcher, Institute for Social Research (ISF), Oslo, 2006-2008
- Visiting scholar (doctoral fellow), Dep. of Political Science, Johns Hopkins University, USA, spring 2004
- Research assistant/junior researcher Norwegian Institute for Urban and Regional Research (NIBR), Oslo, 2000-2002
- Member of the Editorial Board of Acta Politica
- Member of the Norwegian Social Science Data Services' (NSD) Board of Directors
- Member of the "Kuratorium of the Düsseldorf Party Research Institute (PRuF)", University of Düsseldorf
- Member of the Board of the Department of Political Science, UiO, 2012-
- Co-editor of Tidsskrift for samfunnsforskning (‘Journal of Social Science’) 2007-2010.
Allern's doctoral thesis was shortlisted for the European Consortium for Political Research's Jean Blondel PhD Prize in 2008. In 2014, Allern received a grant from the national funding scheme "Young Research Talents" (The Research Council of Norway/UiO) to manage a new comparative study of the relationship between parties and interest groups in established democracies. For details regarding education and work experience, see CV. For Google scholar-profile, use this link.
- Political parties, interest groups and the relationship between them
- Multi-level government and political parties
- Political parties and democratic theory
- Empirical focus on established democracies in general and Europe and Norway/Scandinavia in particular
- STV4020A Forskningsmetode og statistikk
- STV4020C Intervju- og surveyundersøkelser
- STV4322B The Politics of Organized Political Actors
- Supervision of master and PhD students within fields of interest
Monographs/Edited Volumes/Special Issues (after 2009)
- Allern, Elin H. and Tim Bale (forthcoming Feb. 2017, eds): Left-of-centre Parties and Trade Unions in the Twenty-First Century. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Allern, Elin, Knut Heidar and Rune Karlsen (2015): After the Mass Party: Continuity and Change in Political Parties and Representation in Norway. Landham, MD: Lexington Books (a division of Rowman & Littlefield Publishers).
- Allern, Elin H. and Tim Bale (2012, guest eds): Political Parties and Interest Groups: Qualifying the Common Wisdom. Special Issue of Party Politics 18 (1).
- Allern, Elin H. (2010): Political Parties and Interest Groups in Norway. Colchester: ECPR Press. See for example review in Party Politics.
Journal Articles (Peer-reviewed)
- Poguntke,Thomas, Susan E. Scarrow, and Paul D. Webb, with Elin H. Allern, Nicholas Aylott, Ingrid van Biezen, Enrico Calossi, Marina Costa Lobo, William P. Cross, Kris Deschouwer, Zsolt Enyedi, Elodie Fabre, David M. Farrell, Anika Gauja, Eugenio Pizzimenti, Petr Kopecký, Ruud Koole, Wolfgang C. Müller, Karina Kosiara-Pedersen, Gideon Rahat, Aleks Szczerbiak, Emilie van Haute, and Tània Verge (2016, online first):"Party rules, party resources and the politics of parliamentary democracies:How parties organize in the 21st Century", Party Politics 1354068816662493, first published on September 7.
- Allern, Elin. H. and Rune Karlsen (2014): "A Turn to the Right: The Norwegian Parliamentary Election of September 2013", West European Politics, 37 (3): 653-63.
- Allern, Elin H., Ann-Helén Bay and Jo Saglie (2013): "The New Politics of the Welfare State? A Case Study of Extra-Parliamentary Party Politics in Norway", European Journal of Social Security, 15 (3): 249-272.
- Allern Elin H. (2013): "The Contemporary Relationship of ‘New Left’ and ‘New Right’ Parties with Interest Groups: Exceptional or Mainstream? The Case(s) of Norway’s Socialist Left and Progress Party", Scandinavian Political Studies, 36 (1): 67-90.
- Allern, Elin H. and Jo Saglie (2012): "Inside the Black Box: Parties as Multi-level Organizations in a Unitary State", West European Politics, 35 (5): 947–70.
- Allern, Elin H. and Tim Bale (2012): "Political Parties and Interest Groups: Disentangling Complex Relationships", Party Politics 18 (1): 7-25.
- Allern, Elin H. and Tim Bale (2012): "Conclusion: Qualifying the Common Wisdom", Party Politics 18 (1): 99-106.
- Allern, Elin H. (2010): "The Survival of a Majority Coalition: The Norwegian 2009 Parliamentary Elections”, West European Politics 33 (4): 904–12.
- Allern, Elin H. and Nicholas Aylott (2009): “Overcoming the Fear of Commitment: Pre-electoral Coalitions in Norway and Sweden”, Acta Politica: 44: 259–85.
- Allern, Elin H., Nicholas Aylott and Flemming J. Christiansen (2007): “Social Democrats and Trade Unions in Scandinavia: The Decline and Persistence of Institutional Relationships”, European Journal of Political Research 46 (5): 607–35.
- Allern, Elin H. and Karina Pedersen (2007): “The Impact of Party Organizational Changes on Democracy”, West European Politics 30 (1): 69–92.
- Allern, Elin H. and Terje Kleven (2002): “Ånden som går? Om utbredelse og utforming av kommunal målstyring i Sverige, Danmark og Norge”, Norsk statsvitenskapelig tidsskrift 18 (3): 195–224.
Chapters in Edited Volumes (after 2009)
- Allern, Elin H. (2015): ‘Borgerrollen og ulike sosiale grupper 1913-2013’, ch. in Kirsti Strøm Bull (ed.): Borgerrolle og borgrrett. Oslo: Dreyers forlag
- Allern, Elin Haugsgjerd, Rune Karlsen and Hanne Marthe Narud (2014): “Kvinnerepresentasjon og parlamentariske posisjoner” in Hanne Marthe Narud, Knut Heidar and Tore Grønlie (eds): Stortingets historie 1964-2014. Bergen: Fagbokforlaget.
- Allern, Elin Haugsgjerd, Rune Karlsen and Hanne Marthe Narud (2014): “En representativ forsamling?” in Hanne Marthe Narud, Knut Heidar and Tore Grønlie (eds): Stortingets historie 1964-2014. Bergen: Fagbokforlaget.
- Allern, Elin Haugsgjerd, Rune Karlsen and Hanne Marthe Narud (2014): “Stortingets sosiale sammensetning” in Hanne Marthe Narud, Knut Heidar and Tore Grønlie (eds): Stortingets historie 1964-2014. Bergen: Fagbokforlaget.
- Allern, Elin H. and Rune Karlsen (2013): "Unanimous, by Acclamation? Selecting Party Leadership in Norway", ch. in Cross, William and Jean-Benoit Pilet (eds): The Selection of Political Party Leaders in Contemporary Parliamentary Democracies: A Comparative Study. London: Routledge.
- Allern, Elin H. (2012): "Appointments to Public Administration in Norway: No Room for Political Paties?", ch. 14 in Kopecký, Petr, Peter Mair Maria Spirova (eds): Party Patronage and Party Government in European Democracies. Oxford: Oxford University Press.
- Allern, Elin H. and Jo Saglie (2012): ‘Partiene mellom kommune og stat – organisatorisk bindeledd eller «missing link»?’, ch. in Saglie, Jo, Marit Reitan and Eivind Smith (eds): Det norske flernivådemokratiet. Oslo: Abstrakt forlag.
- Allern, Elin H. (2010): “Parties as Vehicles of Democracy in Norway: Still Working after All These Years?”, ch. 7 in Lawson, Kay (ed.): Political Parties and Democracy: Europe, vol. 2. Westport, Conn. : Praeger.
Pubished reports (working papers)
- Allern, Elin H., Nicholas Aylott og Flemming J. Christiansen (2010): "Scenes from a Marriage: Social Democrats and Trade Unions in Scandinavia‟. CVPA Working Paper 2/2010. Copenhagen: University of Copenhagen.