Hege Høyer Leivestad is Assistant Professor in Social Anthropology at Stockholm University. At SAI she works as a researcher in the ERC funded project Ports, led by Elisabeth Schober, which deals with the world's most central container ports and the cities they are embedded in. Leivestad has previously been Visiting Fellow at the Department of Anthropology, London School of Economics and Political Science and Visiting Researcher at the Institute of Anthropology, University of Oxford. Her current book project The Port: Life and Labour at a Maritime Crossroads deals with port infrastructure, maritime labour and logistics in the Port of Algeciras Bay in southern Spain.
Leivestad has published on mobility theory and methodology, homemaking and social class, logistics and shipping, based on long-term ethnographic fieldwork in Europe, particularly Spain. For her doctoral research Hege looked closer at mobile homes, campsite living and housing infrastructure among British and Swedish caravan dwellers. The monograph Caravans: Lives on Wheels in Contemporary Europe (Bloomsbury 2018) offers a novel take on the relationship between housing, mobility and class in a European context.
- 2018. Caravans: Lives on Wheels in Contemporary Europe. London: Bloomsbury. Caravans: Lives on Wheels in Contemporary Europe - 1st Edition - Hege (routledge.com)
- 2017. Ethnographies of Conferences and Trade Fairs: Shaping Industries, Creating Professionals (with Anette Nyqvist). New York: Palgrave MacMillan.
- 2022. ‘Past the Canal: An Anthropology of Maritime Passages’ (with Elisabeth Schober). History and Anthropology. Full article: Past the canal: An anthropology of maritime passages (tandfonline.com)
- 2022. ‘The Shipping Container’, History and Anthropology. Full article: The shipping container (tandfonline.com)
- 2022. ‘Piling Up: Cargo Paperwork in a Global Port’. For Roadsides Volume 007 on Logistics. Collection no. 007 | Roadsides
- 2021. ‘Kinship on the Waterfront. Logistics Labour in a Global Port’. Journal of the Royal Anthropological Institute 27(3).
- 2021. ‘Politics of Scale: Colossal Containerships and the Crisis in Global Shipping’ (with Elisabeth Schober). Anthropology Today 37 (3). Politics of scale: Colossal containerships and the crisis in global shipping - Leivestad - 2021 - Anthropology Today - Wiley Online Library
- 2021. ‘Introduction: Inside Container Economies’ (with Johanna Markkula). Theme section ‘Container Economies: Logistics and Labor along the Maritime Supply Chain’ (guest editors: Hege Leivestad and Johanna Markkula). Focaal- Journal of Global and Historical Anthropology(89). Inside container economies in: Focaal Volume 2021 Issue 89 (2021) (berghahnjournals.com)
- 2021. ‘Who Cares about the Cargo? Container Economies in a European Transshipment Port’ Theme section ‘Container Economies: Logistics and Labor along the Maritime Supply Chain’ (guest editors: Hege Leivestad and Johanna Markkula). Focaal – Journal of Global and Historical Anthropology(89). Who cares about the cargo? in: Focaal Volume 2021 Issue 89 (2021) (berghahnjournals.com)
- 2020. ‘The Hidden Lives of Mobile Dwellings: On Static Wheels and Classed Housing’, City & Society Forum https://doi.org/10.1111/ciso.12273
- 2020. ‘A 20 Dollar Note: “Success Stories” of Swedish Business Actors with Iranian Origin’ (with Erik Olsson). Social Identities. Journal for the Study of Race, Nation and Culture 26 (2): 219-232 https://doi.org/10.1080/13504630.2019.1711049
- 2018. 'The “stranger” among Swedish “homo academicus” '(with Alireza Behtoui). Higher Education: 1-16. The “stranger” among Swedish “homo academicus” | SpringerLink
- 2017. 'Campsite Migrants: British Caravanners and Homemaking in Benidorm', Nordic Journal of Migration Research 7 (3). Campsite Migrants: British Caravanners and Homemaking in Benidorm (journal-njmr.org) In August 2018 chosen as best article published in the Nordic Journal of Migration Research during the two-year period between the Nordic Migration Research conferences.
- 2018. 'Caravan Cultures: Second Homes on Wheels', in Routledge International Handbook on Second Homes, (eds) Michael Hall and Dieter Müller. London: Routledge.
- 2017. 'Beyond Informality: Intimacy and Commerce at the Caravanning Trade Fair', in Ethnographies of Conferences and Trade Fairs: Shaping Industries, Creating Professionals, (eds) Hege Høyer Leivestad and Anette Nyqvist. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- 2017. 'Individuals and Industries: Large-Scale Professional Gatherings as Ethnographic Fields' (with Anette Nyqvist and Hans Tunestad), in Ethnographies of Conferences and Trade Fairs: Shaping Industries, Creating Professionals, (eds) Hege Høyer Leivestad and Anette Nyqvist. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
- 2017. 'Inventorying Mobility: Methodology on Wheels', in Methodologies of Mobility: Ethnography and Experiment, (eds) Alice Elliot, Roger Norum and Noel Salazar. Oxford: Berghahn Books.
- 2016. 'Motility', in The Keywords of Mobility: Critical Engagements. (eds) Noel B. Salazar and Kiran Jayaram. Oxford: Berghahn.