Jan Ole Hesselberg
The PhD Project
I Norway, several billion Euros are granted through application processes. However, the reviewers often disagree in their scoring of the proposals.
Why are the agreement levels low? And what can be done about it?
That is the topic of my project.
Funding and collaboration
The project is funded by the Dam Foundation (Stiftelsen Dam).
The Norwegian Cancer Society, The Kavli Trust and The Norwegian Research Council contribute with review data from their funding programs.
- Judgement and decision making
- Peer review
- Open science
I am a psychologist with a specialisation in clinical adult psychology.
I am the chief program officer at the Dam Foundation and the program manager of the Kavli Trust Programme on Health Research. I am also a member of The Norwegian National Committees for Research Ethics and I host a podcast called "Psykologlunsj".
Back in the days I worked on two popular science shows on Norwegian TV. "Folkeopplysningen" and "Typisk deg med Petter Schjerven".
For more info, check out my LinkedIn profile.
- Knut Inge Fostervold, Associate Professor, Department of Psychology, University of Oslo
- Pål Ulleberg, Associate Professor, Department of Psychology, University of Oslo
- Ida Svege, Head of program development, Stiftelsen Dam
- Hesselberg, Jan Ole; Dalsbø, Therese Kristine; Strømme, Hilde; Svege, Ida & Fretheim, Atle (2020). Reviewer training for improving grant and journal peer review. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews. ISSN 1469-493X. . doi: 10.1002/14651858.MR000056
- Teigen, Karl Halvor; Andersen, Bjørn Sørskot; Alnes, Sigurd Lerkerød & Hesselberg, Jan Ole (2019). Entirely possible overruns: How people think and talk about probabilistic cost estimates. International Journal of Managing Projects in Business. ISSN 1753-8378. 13(2), s 293- 311 . doi: 10.1108/IJMPB-06-2018-0114 Full text in Research Archive.