- International decision-making processes, in particular negotiations.
- International cooperation, international institutions, with empirical focus primarily on environmental governance.
- Courses in English, 2011-2014
PECOS 4110 International Negotiations/Conflict Resolution
STV4214 International Environmental Governance
- STV4227 Geopolitics in the High North
- STV4282 International Energy Politics
- INTER2000 Case Work in International Studies
Brief introduction to previous education and employment
Arild Underdal holds a doctoral degree in political science from the University of Oslo (1982), Previous positions include one as Professor of Decision-Making Analysis at the Norwegian School of Management (BI, 1986-87), and two periods as Adjunct Professor at the Center for International Climate and Environmental Research – Oslo (CICERO). He has served one term as Rector (2002-05) of the University of Oslo and one term as Vice Rector (1993-95). He has served on the boards of, inter alia, Research Council of Norway, Oslo University Hospital, Aarhus University and BI Norwegian Business School.
- Commander of the Royal Norwegian Order of St. Olav.
- Professor of Political Science, University of Oslo and Research Professor II (20 per cent) at the Center for International Climate and Environmental Research - Oslo (CICERO).
- He currently chairs the Board of Faculty of Social Sciences and Technology Management, NTNU. He serves on the international advisory boards of European Journal of International Relations, Global Environmental Politics, and International Environmental Agreements.
Underdal has been active in international global environmental change programmes, serving on the Scientific Steering Committee of the International Human Dimensions Programme on Global Environmental Change for several years, two years as Chair. As indicated by the list of selected publications he currently collaborates with several researchers, mainly in Europe and the United States.