My research addresses the reasons why people support democratic systems - mainly performance of democratic institutions, welfare state policies, and the results of their political participation. My papers have appeared in Political Behavior, Party Politics, European Political Science Review, Politics, East European Politics and Societies, among others.
However, I tend to get easily excited about topics reaching beyond the above-mentioned clusters. Therefore, some of my works deal with population growth models, youth political participation, adoption of postal voting, and democratic innovations (mostly in Central and Eastern Europe - CEE).
Prior to joining the University of Oslo, I was a Finnish Cultural Foundation postdoctoral research fellow at the University of Helsinki (2019-2020) and a research specialist at Masaryk University in the Czech Republic (2019-2020). During the course of my doctoral studies at Masaryk University (PhD awarded in 2019), I spent a year at the University of Tartu in Estonia (2017-2018) and a seven month period at the University of Helsinki (2018).
You can find more information on my personal webpage: http://www.miroslavnemcok.com/
- Nemcok, Miroslav & Peltoniemi, Johanna (2021). Distance and Trust: An Examination of the Two Opposing Factors Impacting Adoption of Postal Voting Among Citizens Living Abroad. Political Behavior. ISSN 0190-9320. . doi: 10.1007/s11109-021-09709-7 Full text in Research Archive.
- Nemcok, Miroslav & Wass, Hanna (2021). Generations and Political Engagement. Oxford Research Encyclopedias. . doi: 10.1093/acrefore/9780190228637.013.1756
- Taagepera, Rein & Nemcok, Miroslav (2021). Majoritarian and consensual democracies: The seat product connection. Party Politics. ISSN 1354-0688. 27(3), s 393- 406 . doi: 10.1177/1354068819871441
- Tóth, Michal; Nemcok, Miroslav & Spáč, Peter (2021). I Don’t Like It Unless It’s for Me: Voters’ Perceptions of Pork-Barrel Politics in Central and Eastern Europe. Problems of Post-Communism. ISSN 1075-8216. . doi: 10.1080/10758216.2021.1914111 Full text in Research Archive.
- Havlík, Vlastimil; Nemcok, Miroslav; Spáč, Peter & Zagrapan, Jozef (2020). The 2020 Parliamentary Elections in Slovakia Steadily Turbulent Change of Direction. Politologický časopis. ISSN 1211-3247. . doi: 10.5817/PC2020-3-221
- Nemcok, Miroslav (2020). The Effect of Parties on Voters’ Satisfaction with Democracy. Politics and Governance. ISSN 2183-2463. . doi: 10.17645/pag.v8i3.2916
- Nemcok, Miroslav; Komar, Olivera; Batrićević, Nemanja; Tóth, Michal & Spáč, Peter (2020). The role of ethnicity in the perception of pork barrel politics: Evidence from a survey experiment in Slovakia. Politics. ISSN 0263-3957. 41(2), s 257- 275 . doi: 10.1177/0263395720920089 Full text in Research Archive.
- Nemcok, Miroslav & Wass, Hanna (2020). As time goes by, the same sentiments apply? Stability of voter satisfaction with democracy during the electoral cycle in 31 countries. Party Politics. ISSN 1354-0688. . doi: 10.1177/1354068820912466
- Nemcok, Miroslav (2019). Active and Passive: Two Ways Party Systems Influence Electoral Outcomes. European Political Science Review. ISSN 1755-7739. . doi: 10.1017/S1755773919000250
- Nemcok, Miroslav (2019). From Duverger to the Seat Product: seeking a pattern in experts’ evaluation of electoral systems. Journal of Elections, Public Opinion and Parties. ISSN 1745-7289. 31(3), s 408- 422 . doi: 10.1080/17457289.2019.1697880
- Nemcok, Miroslav & Spáč, Peter (2019). Referendum as a Party Tool: The Case of Slovakia. East European Politics and Societies. ISSN 0888-3254. . doi: 10.1177/0888325418800551
- Nemcok, Miroslav; Spáč, Peter & Voda, Petr (2019). The role of partisan cues on voters’ mobilization in a referendum. Contemporary Politics. ISSN 1356-9775. . doi: 10.1080/13569775.2018.1543753
- Nemcok, Miroslav & Šedo, Jakub (2018). Theoretical Expectations and the Actual Outcomes of Electoral Systems: How to Measure the Size of the Deviation?. World Political Science. ISSN 2363-4782. . doi: 10.1515/wps-2018-0008
- Valkering, Anne; Nemcok, Miroslav; Matu, George & Spáč, Peter (2018). It’s More than Just Debating: The Political Participation and Democratic Attitudes of Debate Programme Participants in Seven “New” Democracies. Sociální Studia. ISSN 1214-813X. . doi: 10.5817/SOC2018-2-35
- Nemcok, Miroslav & Spáč, Peter (2020). The Rise and Sustainability of Party Leaders in Slovakia: Robert Fico and Mikuláš Dzurinda, In Party Leaders in Eastern Europe: Personality, Behavior and Consequences. Palgrave Macmillan. ISBN 9783030320249.
- Wass, Hanna & Nemcok, Miroslav (2020). What to expect when you are expecting: preferences for representation among voters and political elites, In Research Handbook on Political Representation. Edward Elgar Publishing. ISBN 9781788977081.