My research addresses the reasons why people support democratic systems - mainly performance of democratic institutions, welfare state policies, and the results of their political participation. My papers have appeared in Party Politics , European Political Science Review, Politics , East European Politics and Societies , and Contemporary Politics , among others.
However, I tend to get easily excited about topics reaching beyond the above-mentioned clusters. Therefore, some of my works deal with population growth models, youth political participation, adoption of postal voting, and democratic innovations (mostly in Central and Eastern Europe - CEE).
Prior to joining the University of Oslo, I was a Finnish Cultural Foundation postdoctoral research fellow at the University of Helsinki (2019-2020) and a research specialist at Masaryk University in the Czech Republic (2019-2020). During the course of my doctoral studies at Masaryk University (PhD awarded in 2019), I spent a year at the University of Tartu in Estonia (2017-2018) and a seven month period at the University of Helsinki (2018).
You can find more information on my personal webpage: http://www.miroslavnemcok.com/
- Nemcok, Miroslav & Wass, Hanna (2021). Generations and Political Engagement. Oxford Research Encyclopedias. . doi: 10.1093/acrefore/9780190228637.013.1756
- Havlík, Vlastimil; Nemcok, Miroslav; Spáč, Peter & Zagrapan, Jozef (2020). The 2020 Parliamentary Elections in Slovakia Steadily Turbulent Change of Direction. Politologický časopis. ISSN 1211-3247. . doi: 10.5817/PC2020-3-221
- Nemcok, Miroslav (2020). The Effect of Parties on Voters’ Satisfaction with Democracy. Politics and Governance. ISSN 2183-2463. . doi: 10.17645/pag.v8i3.2916
- Nemcok, Miroslav; Komar, Olivera; Batrićević, Nemanja; Tóth, Michal & Spáč, Peter (2020). The role of ethnicity in the perception of pork barrel politics: Evidence from a survey experiment in Slovakia. Politics. ISSN 0263-3957. . doi: 10.1177/0263395720920089 Fulltekst i vitenarkiv.
- Nemcok, Miroslav & Wass, Hanna (2020). As time goes by, the same sentiments apply? Stability of voter satisfaction with democracy during the electoral cycle in 31 countries. Party Politics. ISSN 1354-0688. . doi: 10.1177/1354068820912466
- Nemcok, Miroslav (2019). Active and Passive: Two Ways Party Systems Influence Electoral Outcomes. European Political Science Review. ISSN 1755-7739. . doi: 10.1017/S1755773919000250
- Nemcok, Miroslav (2019). From Duverger to the Seat Product: seeking a pattern in experts’ evaluation of electoral systems. Journal of Elections, Public Opinion and Parties. ISSN 1745-7289. . doi: 10.1080/17457289.2019.1697880
- Nemcok, Miroslav & Spáč, Peter (2019). Referendum as a Party Tool: The Case of Slovakia. East European Politics and Societies. ISSN 0888-3254. . doi: 10.1177/0888325418800551
- Nemcok, Miroslav; Spáč, Peter & Voda, Petr (2019). The role of partisan cues on voters’ mobilization in a referendum. Contemporary Politics. ISSN 1356-9775. . doi: 10.1080/13569775.2018.1543753
- Taagepera, Rein & Nemcok, Miroslav (2019). Majoritarian and consensual democracies: The seat product connection. Party Politics. ISSN 1354-0688. . doi: 10.1177/1354068819871441
- Nemcok, Miroslav & Šedo, Jakub (2018). Theoretical Expectations and the Actual Outcomes of Electoral Systems: How to Measure the Size of the Deviation?. World Political Science. ISSN 2363-4782. . doi: 10.1515/wps-2018-0008
- Valkering, Anne; Nemcok, Miroslav; Matu, George & Spáč, Peter (2018). It’s More than Just Debating: The Political Participation and Democratic Attitudes of Debate Programme Participants in Seven “New” Democracies. Sociální Studia. ISSN 1214-813X. . doi: 10.5817/SOC2018-2-35
- Nemcok, Miroslav & Spáč, Peter (2020). The Rise and Sustainability of Party Leaders in Slovakia: Robert Fico and Mikuláš Dzurinda, In Party Leaders in Eastern Europe: Personality, Behavior and Consequences. Palgrave Macmillan. ISBN 9783030320249.
- Wass, Hanna & Nemcok, Miroslav (2020). What to expect when you are expecting: preferences for representation among voters and political elites, In Research Handbook on Political Representation. Edward Elgar Publishing. ISBN 9781788977081.