Obtaining a supervisor
Supervisors are assigned once a year. Your supervisor will guide you through the thesis work and provide valuable and informed feedback about your progress.
When to apply for a supervisor
Students on the 2-year programme:
- must have passed at least 20 credits in the programme before they apply
- are intended to apply for a supervisor during their 2nd semester
Students on the 5-year programme:
- must have passed at least 190 credits in the programme before they apply
- are intended to apply for a supervisor during their 8th semester
How to apply for a supervisor
You can obtain a supervisor in two ways:
- You can contact potential supervisors in order make an agreement about supervision. External supervisors must be approved by the master’s committee
- The master’s committee can assign you a supervisor based on your topic of interest and method
You must apply for a supervisor regardless of whether you have made personal arrangements with an supervisor, or wish the master's committee to assign you a supervisor.
When you have been assigned a supervisor
You must hand in the following documents at the Department reception on the 12th floor:
Changing your supervisor
Sometimes supervision arrangements do not work out as intended. Students may therefore change supervisor.
If you intend to change your assigned supervisor, you must:
- send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to inform the Department about the change
- hand in a new contract of supervision
- inform your assigned supervisor about the change.
You are only entitled to a certain number of hours of supervision in total. If you decide to change supervisor, supervision hours used with your former supervisor will be deducted from the quota of the new supervisor.