Application and admission - Political Science
Are you applying for admission to Political Science? Please read this information carefully.
Specified requirements for admission
Competence in political science
- Admission to the PhD specialisation in Political Science requires up-to-date competence (theoretically and methodologically) within political science or some other social science discipline adjacent to political science.
- If the applicant does not fully satisfy this competence requirement, the Department may condition his or her admission on completing one (or more) master’s course(s) in addition to the PhD program’s educational parts. In such cases, admission will also require that the applicant’s host institution grant the necessary extension of the scholarship period.
- Admission is normally granted only to applicants with a master’s degree of at least five years (120 ECTS).
- Applicants with a shorter master’s degree can normally be granted admission only if they have also published political science research of a certain magnitude in the form of books, book chapters, or journal articles. Research reports or non-scholarly publications do not provide a basis for such exemption.
- The applicant’s project plan is assessed on the basis of its scholarly quality, with special emphasis on whether the project has a potential for contributing to political science research.
- The applicant must have at least one supervisor at the Department of Political Science.