- Transition to democracy in post-communist Europe
- Politics, identity, elites, and party systems in Central and Eastern Europe, with main emphasis on the Visegrád four.
- The European Union's eastern enlargement.
- Nationalism & national identity, nationality policy
- The relationship between national and transnational identities
- Head of the Bachelorprogram in European studies.
- EURO3090 Oppgåveemne
- STV4302 Nasjon, stat, nasjonalisme
- STV4333 Sentral-Europa og Baltikum
- Journalist in the local newspaper Dagningen, 1982-84
- Cand. polit. 1989
- Public Relations Manager of the Norwegian Center Party 1989–1993
- Dr. polit. 1999
- Post Doctorate Research Fellow, Department of Political Science 1999-2004
- Associate Professor and head of the Bachelorprogram in Europeab Studies since 2005
Member of the scholarship committee of the E.On Ruhrgas scholarship program in Political Science.
Political elites in the Visegrád countries, with Nick Sitter, Norwegian School of Management & Central European University, Budapest.