Social inequality, stratification and mobility, migration, organizations, crime and mass incarceration, the military, life course, work and occupations, race and ethnicity, quantitative research methods.
- Mass Incarceration and Race (UMass Amherst)
- Social Class and Inequality (UMass Amherst)
- Work and Socieity (UMass Amherst)
I earned my Ph'D in Sociology at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. In my dissertation "The Military and Incarceration: Hidden Mechanisms of Racial Inequality in the U.S. Labor Market, 1980-2010" I analyze how prison and the military, two crucial but often neglected labor market institutions, have jointly reinforced racial inequality in the U.S. labor market since the 1980s. After graduation, as a Post-doc research at the School of Labor and Employment Relation, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign I produced a series of policy reports on the Illinois labor markets. My works are published at Demography, and Population Research and Policy Review.
- Washington Center for Equitable Growth Dissertation Grant (2015)
- Best Graduate Instructor Award (2017, UMass Amherst, Department of Sociology)
- SAGE Teaching Innovation & Professional Development Award (2016)
- Post-doctoral Research Associate. School of Labor and Employment Relations at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- Research Fellow. Center for Employment Equity at the University of Massachusetts Amherst
- Graudate Instructor, Research Assistance, Teaching Assistance. Department of Sociology at the University of Massachusetts Amherst
Han, JooHee. 2020. “Does Skin Tone Matter? Immigrant Mobility in the U.S. Labor Market.” Demography. Featured in Population Association of America
Han, JooHee and Michelle Budig. 2019. “Gender Pay Gap.” In Oxford Bibliographies in Sociology. Ed. Lynette Spillman. New York: Oxford University Press.
Han, JooHee. 2018. “Who Goes to College, Military, Prison, or Long-Term Unemployment? Racialized School-to-Labor Market Transitions Among American Men.” Population Research and Policy Review 37(4):615-649.
Han, JooHee. 2017. “African-Americans in the U.S. Military” in Inclusion in the American Military: A Force for Diversity, edited by David E. Rohall, Morten G. Ender, and Michael D. Matthews. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books. (Invited book chapter)
Choi, Seong-soo and JooHee Han. 2006. “State and Immigration Policy: A Study on Immigration Laws of U.S.” Journal of American Studies 38(2): 203-233. (In Korean)
Han, JooHee. 2006. “Experiences as Transnational Identity Formation Processes: Denizens’ Migration Experiences and Transnational Identity Formation.” Yonsei Journal. 43: 102-121. (In Korean)