Course registration for exchange students
We encourage you to register for courses before you arrive.
If you have any questions, please contact SV-info.
Credits and course load
A full-time student takes courses worth 30 credits per semester.
You may choose courses from the different faculties at The University of Oslo:
Search for courses:
Timetable information and exam dates
You find timetable information, exam date(s) and syllabus for the autumn semester on the semester page "Autumn 2018". On the course page, click the semester page “Autumn 2018” to find the required information.
- You are responsible for making sure that the times and dates for lectures, seminars and exams do not collide.
- It is not possible to change the date of an exam.
Before you start course registration
Communicate with your home university:
- How many credits do you need to take?
- Do you need to take specific courses in order to fulfill your degree requirements?
Make a list of courses in order of priority and write down:
- Exam dates
- Lecture dates / times
- Where applicable: seminar dates / times (some courses have several seminars which you can rank in order of priority during the registration process)
- Does the course have formal prerequisites? See "Prerequisites" at the course page.
How to register for courses
You register for bachelor level courses online via the course registration system - Studentweb. If you want to register for master level courses, courses with formal prerequisites or courses taught in Norwegian, please submit the online form.
Bachelor level courses: Register in Studentweb
Please register for bachelor level courses online in Studentweb before June 7. If you register for courses online before arriving in Oslo you have a better chance of being admitted to the courses you wish to take.
You log in to Studentweb with your UiO-username and password. You receive your UiO-username in a text message on your phone the last week in May and you must create a password. Please read information about username and password.
To register for courses in Studentweb you need to:
- Complete registration steps 1 - 5
- Choose courses at step 2 “Study plan”
- Click "Add" next to the course you want to take
- Complete all steps for each course.
- You can check which courses you have signed up for under "My active courses"
If you have not received a text message and are unable to log in to Studentweb, please apply for courses using the online form below:
June 1 - June 7
- Apply for courses from June 1 to June 7.
- After the deadline June 7 your registration window will show 'Admission in progress'.
- Log in to Studentweb on June 12 to see if you have been admitted to the courses.
June 13 - August 16
- Apply for courses from June 13 to August 16.
- After the deadline August 16 your registration window will show 'Admission in progress'.
- Log in to Studentweb on August 20 to see if you have been admitted to the courses.
August 21 - September 1
- From August 21 you may register for courses on a first come, first served basis. At this time many courses are full and and free spots fill up quickly.
Master level courses, courses with formal prerequisites and courses in Norwegian: Submit online form
Master level courses, courses with formal prerequisites and courses taught in Norwegian do not appear in Studentweb.
Information about prerequisites is found on each course page under “Prerequisites”.
Please submit the online form to be registered for master level courses, courses with formal prerequisites or courses taught in Norwegian.
Please submit the form with following information:
- a prioritised list of courses that you would like to take
- include the courses you have already registered for in Studentweb, but specify which courses you need help to register for
- state how many credits you would like to take in total
- if the course has seminars rank the seminar groups in order of priority (please rank three seminar groups)
We will then assess your eligibility for your preferred courses and see if it is possible to register you manually. Course registration will depend on availability, capacity, and whether you have met the prerequisite requirements.
Norwegian language courses: Register in Studentweb
You register for Norwegian language courses in Studentweb.
If you would like an introduction to Norwegian language, you may sign up for this online Norwegian language course. See more information.
September 1: Final deadline
The final deadline for course registration is September 1.
Please contact SV-info.