Artur Miguel Pinheiro Hargreaves Santoalha
Artur Miguel Santoalha got his bachelor degree in Economics from the Economics and Management School of the Portuguese Catholic University in 2010, and his master degree in Analysis and Policy in Economics, lectured by Paris School of Economics jointly with HEC, EHESS, École Normale Superieur, École National des Ponts et Chausse, École Politechnique and ENSAE in 2012.
Artur has worked as a trainee at the UN Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean and the European Commission, as a consultant for the OECD Development Centre and the Centre of Marine Sciences (University of Algarve), and as research assistant at Université Paris Dauphine and at the Centre for Research in Higher Education Policies.
He started his PhD training at the TIK Centre in October 2015 and submitted his PhD dissertation for evaluation in November 2019. During his PhD at TIK, Artur was visiting researcher at the European Commission Joint Research Centre in Seville - Institute of Prospective Technological Studies (Directorate B - Growth and Innovation; Unit 3 - Territorial Development); and visiting researcher at the Faculty of Geosciences of the Utrecht University - Group of Economic Geography led by Professor Ron Boschma.
Artur’s main academic interests are in geography of innovation, evolutionary economic geography, regional economics and regional development, sustainability transitions, and higher education policies. In his PhD, Artur has used patent data statistics and econometric methods to investigate patterns and determinants (e.g. collaboration between organizations, digital skills of the workforce, and political support) of the emergence of new technological specializations in European regions (mainly NUTS-2). In some of his PhD articles Artur has focused exclusively on environment-related technologies, due to their importance for the prevention and mitigation of one of the most pressing societal challenges of our times: climate change. In terms of policies, one relevant component of his research is about Research and Innovation Strategies for Smart Specialization (RIS3).
Articles in Peer-Reviewed International Journals
- Santoalha, A. and Boschma, R. (2020), Diversifying in green technologies in European regions: does political support matter?, Regional Studies (in press)
- Castellacci, F., Consoli, D. and Santoalha, A. (2019), The Role of E-skills in Technological Diversification in European Regions, Regional Studies, https://doi.org/10.1080/00343404.2019.1681585
- Santoalha, A. (2019), Technological Diversification and Smart Specialization: the role of cooperation, Regional Studies, 53(9):1269-1283 https://doi.org/10.1080/00343404.2018.1530753
- Santoalha, A. (2019), New indicators of related diversification applied to smart specialization in European regions, Spatial Economic Analysis,14(4):404-424 https://doi.org/10.1080/17421772.2019.1584328
- Santoalha, A., Biscaia, R. and Teixeira, P. (2018), Higher Education And Its Contribution To A Diverse Regional Supply Of Human Capital: Does The Binary/unitary Divide Matters, Higher Education, 75(2):209–230 https://doi.org/10.1007/s10734-017-0132-2
- Barbero, J., Diukanova, O., Gianelle, C., Salotti, S. and Santoalha, A. (2020), A modelling approach to evaluate Smart Specialisation: the economic implications of the R&I targets of the regional Operational Programmes in Southern Europe (forthcoming)
- Santoalha, A., Consoli, D. and Castellacci, F. (2019), Do digital skills foster green diversification? A study of European regions, TIK WORKING PAPERS on Innovation Studies No. 20191029, University of Oslo (Submitted to Research Policy- Revise and Resubmit)
Work in Progress
- Digital Skills and Intra-regional income inequalities in European regions (jointly with Fulvio Castellacci and Davide Consoli)
- The Role of Technological Diversification and Relatedness in Economic Growth in European Regions
- Pedrosa, J., Teixeira, P. Moreira, M.J. and Santoalha, A. (2017), Educação Superior em Portugal: uma nova perspectiva, Lisboa, Fundação Calouste Gulbenkian