Allan Dahl Andersen
Broadly put, Allan’s basic interest is the dynamics of diversity across time and space in ‘the wealth and poverty of nations’. Focus is on processes of structural transformations and economic development where accumulation of new knowledge and technology are the main enabling factors. Collectively (network) and individually (organization) knowledge accumulation strongly interacts with wider social, institutional and organizational innovations which implies that a systems approach is needed to grasp such processes. The theoretical anchor for approaching these topics is therefore the systems of innovation framework which is based on evolutionary economics and institutional theory. The key challenge thus is to understand how and under which circumstances innovation systems emerge and transform, and explore policy implications of this.
Within this broad research program, Allan is particularly interested in:
- Innovation dynamics in natural-resource based industries
- Development and diffusion of renewable energy technologies in context of climate change
- The role of infrastructures in low-carbon transitions (transmission)
- Foresight as a systemic, participatory and strategic policy-making tool for guiding innovation-system transformations
- Science, Technology and Innovation policy
- Inclusive innovation
Allan Dahl Andersen has a bachelor in economics from Aalborg University. From the same university he has a master degree in Innovation, Knowledge and Economic dynamics (MIKE). He has an additional master degree (cum laude) in economics from Universiteit van Amsterdam with a major in development economics and a minor in institutional economics. Allan did his PhD in Economics of Innovation with the IKE-group at Aalborg University. His PhD work centered around the role of natural resources in economic development, theoretical issues of building and transforming systems of innovation, and analyzing the evolution of the sugarcane-biofuel industry in Brazil as a (sectoral) natural-resource based innovation system.
After his PhD Allan worked one and half year at the Technical University of Denmark as a Postdoctoral fellow where he worked on exploring and outlining the conceptual linkages between technology foresight and the innovation-system approach. At the same time Allan Started working part-time for the Globelics Secretariat, Aalborg University, together with Bengt-Ake Lundvall, Björn Johnson, Rasmus Lema and others. The nature of the work is administrative, organizational and academic, and aims at forging strong and formal structures around the Globelics community to facilitate its continuing prosperity. In late 2012 Allan started working here at the Center for Technology, Innovation and Culture, Oslo University, where he is employed as a postdoctoral fellow.
Allan is employed at the RenTrans project which aims at analyzing how Norway is affected by a potential European low carbon transition, and developing strategies for how Norway may beneficially participate in this process. Allan’s work has two main tracks. One explores what challenges electricity infrastructure (notably transmission systems) poses in various low carbon scenarios and for the development and diffusion of renewable energy technologies in Norway. This concerns both domestic upgrading and expansion, and stronger connections to Europe. The other track concerns the interactions between incumbent energy actors and emergence of new renewable energy technologies. A pressing issue is to understand what role incumbent actors can play and are playing in shaping the low carbon transition path in a Norwegian context.
Within the Master-level course “Innovation and Global Challenges” (TIK4021) Allan teaches on the module “Innovation and sustainability: energy, climate change and natural resources”.
Andersen, A.D. and Andersen, P. D. (forthcoming). “Exploring Sector Innovation-System Foresight in Brazil and South Korea: (re)building competences for innovation system transformation”. Department of Management Engineering, Danish Technical University.
Johnson, B. and Andersen, A. D. (2012). Learning, innovation and inclusive development - new perspectives on economic development strategy and development aid. Globelics Thematic Report. Aalborg University Press. ISBN: 978-87-7112-058-5.
Andersen, A.D. and Andersen, P. D. (2012). ”Innovation-system foresight: Explicating and systemizing the innovation-system foundations of foresight and exploring its implications”. Department of Management Engineering, Danish Technical University.
Andersen, A.D. (2012). ”Towards a new approach to natural resources and development: the role of learning, innovation and linkage dynamics”, Int. J. Technological Learning, Innovation and Development, Vol. 5, No. 3, pp.291–324.
Andersen, A. D. (2011). Innovation Systems and Natural Resources – the case of sugarcane in Brazil. Ph.D. Dissertation. Department of Business Studies, Aalborg University.
Andersen, A. D. and Johnson, B. (2010). ”Natural resource-based Development and the inadequacy of fundamentalism in development theory”. International Schumpeter Society Conference 2010.
Andersen, A. D. (2009). ”Institutions, Innovation and Development – A Comment on Erik Reinert’s Quality Index”. Department of Business Studies, Aalborg University, Working Paper Series, No. 5. ISBN 9788791646348.
- Andersen, Allan Dahl; Marin, Anabel & Simensen, Erlend Osland (2018). Innovation in natural resource-based industries: A pathway to development? Introduction to special issue. Innovation and Development. ISSN 2157-930X. 8(1), s 1- 27 . doi: 10.1080/2157930X.2018.1439293
- Lindberg, Marie Byskov; Markard, Jochen & Andersen, Allan Dahl (2018). Policies, actors and sustainability transition pathways: A study of the EU's energy policy mix. Research Policy. ISSN 0048-7333. s 1- 15 . doi: 10.1016/j.respol.2018.09.003
- Mäkitie, Tuukka; Andersen, Allan Dahl; Hanson, Jens; Normann, Håkon Endresen & Thune, Taran Mari (2018). Established sectors expediting clean technology industries? The Norwegian oil and gas sector's influence on offshore wind power. Journal of Cleaner Production. ISSN 0959-6526. 177, s 813- 823 . doi: 10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.12.209
- Andersen, Allan Dahl & Andersen, Per Dannemand (2017). Foresighting for inclusive development. Technological forecasting & social change. ISSN 0040-1625. 119, s 227- 236 . doi: 10.1016/j.techfore.2016.06.007
- Fagerberg, Jan; Andersen, Allan Dahl; Schlaile, Michael P.; Urmetzer, Sophie; Blok, Vincent; Timmermans, Job; Mueller, Matthias & Pyka, Andreas (2017). Innovation Systems for Transformations towards Sustainability? Taking the Normative Dimension Seriously. Sustainability. ISSN 2071-1050. 9(12) . doi: 10.3390/su9122253 Full text in Research Archive.
- Piirainen, Kalle Artturi; Andersen, Allan Dahl & Andersen, Per Dannemand (2016). Foresight and the third mission of universities: the case for innovation system foresight. Foresight. ISSN 1463-6689. 18(1), s 24- 40 . doi: 10.1108/FS-04-2014-0026
- Andersen, Allan Dahl (2015). A functions approach to innovation system building in the South: the pre-Proálcool evolution of the sugarcane and biofuel sector in Brazil. Innovation and Development. ISSN 2157-930X. 5(1), s 1- 21 . doi: 10.1080/2157930X.2014.996855
- Andersen, Allan Dahl & Johnson, Björn (2015). Low-carbon development and inclusive innovation systems. Innovation and Development. ISSN 2157-930X. 5(2), s 279- 296 . doi: 10.1080/2157930X.2015.1049849
- Andersen, Allan Dahl (2014). No transition without transmission: HVDC electricity infrastructure as an enabler for renewable energy?. Environmental Innovation and Societal Transitions. ISSN 2210-4224. 13, s 75- 95 . doi: 10.1016/j.eist.2014.09.004
- Andersen, Allan Dahl & Andersen, Per Dannemand (2014). Innovation system foresight. Technological forecasting & social change. ISSN 0040-1625. 88, s 276- 286 . doi: 10.1016/j.techfore.2014.06.016
- Andersen, Allan Dahl & Johnson, Björn (2014). Monocausalism versus systems approach to development - The possibility of natural resource-based development. Institutions and Economies. ISSN 2232-1640. 6(2), s 27- 54
- Andersen, Per Dannemand; Andersen, Allan Dahl; Jensen, Per Anker & Rasmussen, Birgitte (2014). Sectoral innovation system foresight in practice: Nordic facilities management foresight. Futures : The journal of policy, planning and futures studies. ISSN 0016-3287. 61, s 33- 44 . doi: 10.1016/j.futures.2014.04.012
- Andersen, Allan Dahl; Johnson, Björn; Anabel, Marin; kaplan, David; Stubrin, Lilia; Lundvall, Bengt-Åke & Kaplinsky, Raphael (2015). Natural resources, Innovation and Development. Globelics Thematic Review. Aalborg Universitetsforlag. ISBN 978-87-7112-367-8. 154 s.
- Lema, Rasmus; Johnson, Björn; Andersen, Allan Dahl; Lundvall, Bengt-Åke & Chaudhary, Ankur (ed.) (2014). Low-Carbon Innovation and Development. Aalborg Universitetsforlag. ISBN 9788771121322. 125 s.
- Andersen, Allan Dahl & Gulbrandsen, Magnus (2018). Diversification into new markets: challenges and opportunities for petroleum supply firms, In Taran Mari Thune; Ole Andreas Hegland Engen & Olav Wicken (ed.), Petroleum industry transformations : lessons from Norway and beyond. Routledge. ISBN 9781138307636. 12.
- Mäkitie, Tuukka; Hanson, Jens & Andersen, Allan Dahl (2017). Under which conditions established sectors accelerate emerging clean-tech industries. Relatedness in innovation systems perspective.
- Mäkitie, Tuukka Rainer Reinhold; Andersen, Allan Dahl; Hanson, Jens; Normann, Håkon Endresen & Thune, Taran Mari (2016). Path branching as system building An innovation systems perspective on the interactions between emerging and mature industries.
- Mäkitie, Tuukka; Andersen, Allan Dahl; Hanson, Jens; Normann, Håkon Endresen & Thune, Taran Mari (2016). Established sectors expediting clean technology industries? The Norwegian oil and gas sector's influence on offshore wind power. TIK WORKING PAPERS on innovation studies. 20161208.
- Wicken, Olav & Andersen, Allan Dahl (2016). Natural Resource diversity and knowledge ideosyncrasies: Implications for innovation, development, and sustainability.
- Wicken, Olav & Andersen, Allan Dahl (2016). Natural resource knowledge idiosyncrasy, innovation, industry dynamics, and sustainability.
- Andersen, Allan Dahl; Fevolden, Arne Martin & Klitkou, Antje (2015). European Energy Integration and Transmission Grids: A Knowledge Networks Perspective.
- Andersen, Allan Dahl & Markard, Jochen (2015). Transformation of Transmission Infrastructure: Challenges and prospects for HVDC technology.
- Wicken, Olav; Andersen, Allan Dahl & Bjelland-Hanley, Ragnhild (2015). Transforming infrastructure: the role of investment behaviour. A study of increased investments in central electricity grids in Norway form 2009.
- Andersen, Allan Dahl (2014). Innovation and the Transformation from Natural resource intensive to Knowledge intensive economies.
- Andersen, Allan Dahl & Dannemand Andersen, Per (2014). Innovation System Foresight and Inclusive Development: On the instrumental value of social inclusion.
- Andersen, Allan Dahl; Dannemand Andersen, Per; Park, Byeongwon & Cagnin, Cristiano (2014). Sectoral Innovation System Foresight in Brazil and Korea: Competences for innovation system transformation. Working Paper Series, DTU Management Engineering Technical University of Denmark. 978-87-93130-31-9.
- Wicken, Olav & Andersen, Allan Dahl (2013). Innovation dynamics in natural-resource based industries: Where the geese don’t fly.
- Wicken, Olav & Andersen, Allan Dahl (2013). Low-Carbon Infrastructures and Systems of Innovation.
- Wicken, Olav & Andersen, Allan Dahl (2013). No transition without transmission? The role of infrastructure in innovation-system building and transformation in the context of a pending low-carbon transition.