My research builds in the field of human neurophysiology and cognitive neuroscience:
brain executive functions: how we plan, perform and monitor complex cognitive tasks
externally and internally directed attention: how voluntary attention (visuo-spatial, semantic, motor) and self-focused attention (mind-wondering and self-centered thoughts) interact
role of neuromodulatory systems on cognition
brain functional and dynamic connectivity
I am interested in studying these brain processes in health and pathology by means of brain imaging techniques (fMRI, EEG).
I am part of the Cognitive NeuroGenetics group led by Thomas Espeseth. We employ different psycho-physical tasks to study the associated behavior, the physiological responses and the neural basis.
Ph.D. University of Buenos Aires, Argentina. Project title: “Study of neuronal networks related to spontaneous brain processes, attention and motor planning in healthy subjects and neurological patients using functional magnetic resonance imaging.” Workplace: FLENI Institute, Buenos Aires, Argentina. Thesis director: Ramón Leiguarda.
fMRI and EEG data analysis collaboration with the Behavioral Neurology Research Unit, Department of Neurosciences and Rehabilitation, Tampere University Hospital.
- Mäki-Marttunen, Verónica; Hagen, Thomas & Espeseth, Thomas (2019). Proactive and reactive modes of cognitive control can operate independently and simultaneously. Acta Psychologica. ISSN 0001-6918. 199, s 102891 . doi: 10.1016/j.actpsy.2019.102891
- Mäki-Marttunen, Verónica; Hagen, Thomas & Espeseth, Thomas (2019). Task context load induces reactive cognitive control: An fMRI study on cortical and brain stem activity. Cognitive, Affective, & Behavioral Neuroscience. ISSN 1530-7026. s 1- 21 . doi: 10.3758/s13415-019-00691-6 Fulltekst i vitenarkiv. Vis sammendrag
- Mäki-Marttunen, Verónica; Hagen, Thomas; Laeng, Bruno & Espeseth, Thomas (2019). Distinct Neural Mechanisms Meet Challenges in Dynamic Visual Attention due to Either Load or Object Spacing. Journal of Cognitive Neuroscience. ISSN 0898-929X. 32(1), s 65- 84 . doi: 10.1162/jocn_a_01469
- Mäki-Marttunen, Verónica; Hagen, Thomas; Aminihajibashi, Samira; Foldal, Maja Dyhre; Stavrinou, Maria; Halvorsen, Jens; Laeng, Bruno & Espeseth, Thomas (2018). Ocular signatures of proactive versus reactive cognitive control in young adults. Cognitive, Affective, & Behavioral Neuroscience. ISSN 1530-7026. s 1- 15 . doi: 10.3758/s13415-018-0621-5
- Expósito, Verónica; Castro, M.; Olmos, L; Leiguarda, R & Villarreal, M (2016). Modulation of the default-mode network and the attentional network by self-referential processes in patients with disorder of consciousness. Neuropsychologia. ISSN 0028-3932. . doi: 10.1016/j.neuropsychologia.2016.01.022