Islamist and Right-wing extremism
Identity and group processes
Prejudice, discrimination and deprivation
Social, Cultural, Political and Personality Psychology
PSY3095 - Helsefremmende og forebyggende arbeid (3): Kultur- og samfunnspsykologiske perspektive
PSY2102 - Social Cognition and Emotion
PSYPSY411 - Applied Social Psychology
PSY4130 - Promoting Change through Social Psychology
I am supervising Master's/Global Minds/Profession and Bachelor's students.
Milan Obaidi is an Associate Professor at the Department of Psychology, University of Oslo. Milan holds a Bachelor of psychology from Aalborg University, and a Master of psychology from Copenhagen University. During his Master’s studies he was a Fulbright Visiting Scholar at Harvard University, Department of Psychology. Further, Milan holds a Master of Research and a PhD in Political and Social Sciences (2016) from the European University Institute under supervision of Professor Olivier Roy and Professor James Sidanius. Moreover, during his PhD, and postdoc he had various research stays at leading labs on intergroup relations at Harvard and Yale working with Professor James Sidanius and Professor John F. Dovidio. Prior to his current position at the Department of Psychology Milan was an Assistant Professor (Postdoctoral Fellow) at C-Rex and prior to that a Sasakawa postdoctoral researcher at Uppsala University at the Department of Psychology working with Associate Professor Nazar Akrami.
In collaboration with Professor Jonas R. Kunst, he leads the Culture, Society and Behavior research lab (www.csblab.com).
2020: Associate Professor
2019: Assistant Professor / Postdoctoral fellow / C-REX - Center for Research on Extremsim
2018 - 2019 : Associated Fellow at Jack F. Dovidio Lab / Yale University
2017 - 2018 : Associated Fellow at Sidanius Lab / Harvard University
2016 - 2018: Sasakawa Postdoctoral fellow / Uppsala University
2012 - 2016: PhD candidate / European University Institute
2009 - 2011: Master's degree in psychology / University of Copenhagen
2007 - 2009: Visiting Fulbright Scholar / Harvard University
2003 - 2006: Bachelor's degree in general psychology / University of Aalborg
- Kunst, Jonas R.; Lefringhausen, Katharina & Obaidi, Milan (2021). Who adopts the culture of ethnic minority groups? A personality perspective on majority-group members’ acculturation. International Journal of Intercultural Relations. ISSN 0147-1767. . doi: 10.1016/j.ijintrel.2021.01.001 Full text in Research Archive.
- Kunst, Jonas R. & Obaidi, Milan (2020). Understanding violent extremism in the 21st century: The (re)emerging role of relative deprivation. Current Opinion in Psychology. ISSN 2352-250X. 35, s 55- 59 . doi: 10.1016/j.copsyc.2020.03.010
- Ozer, Simon; Obaidi, Milan & Pfattheicher, Stefan (2020). Group membership and radicalization: A cross-national investigation of collective self-esteem underlying extremism. Group Processes & Intergroup Relations. ISSN 1368-4302. 23(8), s 1230- 1248 . doi: 10.1177/1368430220922901
- Obaidi, Milan; Bergh, Robin; Akrami, Nazar & Anjum, Gulnaz (2019). Group-Based Relative Deprivation Explains Endorsement of Extremism Among Western-Born Muslims. Psychological Science. ISSN 0956-7976. . doi: 10.1177/0956797619834879
- Kunst, Jonas R.; Boos, Beverly Karen; Y. Kimel, Sasha; Obaidi, Milan; Shani, Maor & Thomsen, Lotte (2018). Engaging in extreme activism in support of others’ political struggles: The role of politically motivated fusion with out-groups. PLOS ONE. ISSN 1932-6203. . doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0190639
- Obaidi, Milan; Bergh, Robin; Sidanius, Jim & Thomsen, Lotte (2018). The mistreatment of my people: Victimization by proxy and behavioral intentions to commit violence among Muslims in Denmark. Political Psychology. ISSN 0162-895X. . doi: 10.1111/pops.12435
- Obaidi, Milan; Kunst, Jonas R.; Kteily, Nour; Lotte, Thomsen & Sidanius, James (2018). Living under threat: Mutual threat perception drives anti‐Muslim and anti‐Western hostility in the age of terrorism. European Journal of Social Psychology. ISSN 0046-2772. . doi: 10.1002/ejsp.2555
- Obaidi, Milan; Thomsen, Lotte & Bergh, Robin (2018). They Think We Are a Threat to Their Culture”: Meta-Cultural Threat Fuels Willingness and Endorsement of Extremist Violence against the Cultural Outgroup. International Journal of Conflict and Violence. ISSN 1864-1385. . doi: 10.4119/UNIBI/ijcv.647
- Thomsen, Lotte; Obaidi, Milan & Bergh, Robin (2018). They Think We Are a Threat to Their Culture”: Meta-Cultural Threat Fuels Willingness and Endorsement of Extremist Violence against the Cultural Outgroup. International Journal of Conflict and Violence. ISSN 1864-1385.
- Sidanius, Jim; Kteily, Nour; Levin, Shana; Pratto, Felicia & Obaidi, Milan (2016). Support for asymmetric violence among Arab populations: The clash of cultures, social identity, or counterdominance?. Group Processes & Intergroup Relations. ISSN 1368-4302. . doi: 10.1177/1368430215577224
- Thomsen, Lotte; Obaidi, Milan; Sheehy-Skeffington, Jennifer; Kteily, Nour & Jim, Sidanius (2014). Individual differences in relational motives interact with the political context to produce terrorism and terrorism-support. Behavioral and Brain Sciences. ISSN 0140-525X. . doi: 10.1017/S0140525X13003579