Margrethe Seeger Halvorsen
I am interested in psychotherapy research and how to make this research useful for clinical practice
My primary interest is in the relationship between process and outcome in psychotherapy
I am part of the research project “An intensive process-outcome study of the interpersonal aspects of psychotherapy” at the Department of Psychology, UiO. This is a naturalistic psychotherapy research project of highly experienced therapists and their clients
My current project is a qualitative study of” the best of best-practices”. It involves a strategically selected sample of high-change therapies, and the aim is to explore how experienced therapists work to establish and maintain a good therapeutic alliance (with focus on the emotional bond), and how they motivate and prepare clients for treatment and change.
Higher education and employment history
My academic training includes social anthropology, history of religion, developing studies and psychology.
I have my professional degree in psychology from the University of Tromsø (2001)
Dr. Psychol. (PhD in clinical psychology) from the University of Oslo (2006)
Thesis title: Self-image and Psychotherapy: Measurement, Predictor and Outcome issues. Currently I work half time as postdoctoral research fellow at the Department of Psychology (UiO)
Half time as clinical psychologist at Vinderen DPS (outpatient clinic)
Årets doktorgrad 2007. [Doctoral dissertation of the year, 2007]. The Norwegian Psychological Association (NPF)
Margrethe collaborates with Professor Helge Rønnestad who is the principal investigator of the research project, the two Ph.D. candidates Marit Råbu and Hanne Weie Oddli, as well as the rest of the research team of the project (Hanne Haavind, Siri Gullestad, Eva Axelsen, Bjørg Røed Hansen, Kirsten Benum, Nora Sveaass, Sissel Reichelt, Anne von der Lippe and Odd Arne Tjersland). Other collaborators in the project are Professor David Orlinsky (University of Chicago), Professor Robert Elliott (University of Strathclyde) and Professor Bruce Wampold (University of Wisconsin).
- Halvorsen, Margrethe S.; Benum, Kirsten; Oddli, Hanne; Stänicke, Erik & Mcleod, John (2017). How Usual is Treatment as Usual? Experienced Therapists’ Reflections on Participation in Practice-based Research.. Counselling Psychology Quarterly. ISSN 0951-5070. . doi: 10.1080/09515070.2017.1397502 Full text in Research Archive.
- von der Lippe, Anna Louise; Oddli, Hanne & Halvorsen, Margrethe S. (2017). Therapist strategies early in therapy associated with good or poor outcomes among clients with low proactive agency. Psychotherapy Research. ISSN 1050-3307. . doi: 10.1080/10503307.2017.1373205
- Halvorsen, Margrethe S.; Benum, Kirsten; Haavind, Hanne & Mcleod, John (2016). A Life-Saving Therapy: The Theory-Building Case of "Cora".. Pragmatic Case Studies in Psychotherapy. ISSN 1553-0124. 12(3), s 158- 193
- Andenæs, Agnes; Benum, Kirsten; Carlquist, Erik; Halvorsen, Margrethe S.; Hauge, Mona-Iren; Madsen, Ole Jacob; Moss, Sigrun Marie; Oddli, Hanne; Roen, Katrina; Råbu, Marit; Skjelsbæk, Inger; Stänicke, Erik; Strømme, Hanne; Sveaass, Nora & Tjersland, Odd Arne (2017). Sneversynt om psykologisk kunnskap. Morgenbladet. ISSN 0805-3847. 198(5), s 28- 29
- Halvorsen, Margrethe S. (2017). Uforsvarlig drift eller politisk maktspill?. Tidsskrift for Norsk Psykologforening. ISSN 0332-6470. 54(12), s 1200- 1201
- Oddli, Hanne; Nissen-Lie, Helene A; Mcleod, John; Rønnestad, Michael Helge & Halvorsen, Margrethe S. (2017). Goal consensus between client and therapist. A mixed-method study..
- Sønsterud, Hilda; Halvorsen, Margrethe S.; Feragen, Kristin Judith Billaud; Ward, David & Kirmess, Melanie (2017). What do people search for in stuttering therapy -personal goal-setting as a gold standard? Aim.
- Sønsterud, Hilda; Howells, Kirsten; Halvorsen, Margrethe S.; Feragen, Kristin Judith Billaud; Ward, David & Kirmess, Melanie (2017). The working alliance in stuttering therapy: A neglected variable?.
- Sønsterud, Hilda; Kirmess, Melanie; Halvorsen, Margrethe S.; Feragen, Kristin Judith Billaud & Ward, David (2017). Individualized stuttering therapy for adults - what works for whom?.
- Benum, Kirsten; Halvorsen, Margrethe S.; Oddli, Hanne; Øiestad, Guro & Mcleod, John (2016). The journey towards becoming an integrative psychotherapist: Teaching integration in as a perspective on theory, research and practice..