Being a specialist for pain treatment and palliative care, I observe daily the effects of different drugs on mental functions and behavior. Beyond that “trivial” factors like sleeping and eating patterns or physical activity might also have an important influence on patient’s perceptions and behavior.
I have studied earlier the autonomic nerve system, the effects of cannabinoids on the brain and complex systems approaches in health sciences.
In the last years, I am focusing on social and political neuroscience. I am interested in the effect of different substances and other parameters on social and political behavior. This includes beyond others diets, drugs, sleep, physical activity, the internet and social media. Many of these factors have changed profoundly in the last two decades, and I attempt to understand its effects on the individual and group level and its complex interactions.
- Blesius, Valeria; Schölzel, Christopher; Ernst, Gernot & Dominik, Andreas (2020). HRT assessment reviewed: A systematic review of heart rate turbulence methodology. Physiological Measurement. ISSN 0967-3334. 41(8) . doi: 10.1088/1361-6579/ab98b3
- Ernst, Gernot; Watne, Leiv; Rostrup, Morten & Neerland, Bjørn Erik (2020). Delirium in patients with hip fracture is associated with increased heart rate variability. Aging Clinical and Experimental Research. ISSN 1594-0667. 32, s 2311- 2318 . doi: 10.1007/s40520-019-01447-5
- Schölzel, Christopher; Blesius, Valeria; Ernst, Gernot & Dominik, Andreas (2020). An Understandable, Extensible, and Reusable Implementation of the Hodgkin-Huxley Equations Using Modelica. Frontiers in Physiology. ISSN 1664-042X. 11 . doi: 10.3389/fphys.2020.583203
- Garland, Eric; Trøstheim, Martin; Eikemo, Marie; Ernst, Gernot & Leknes, Siri (2019). Anhedonia in chronic pain and prescription opioid misuse. Psychological Medicine. ISSN 0033-2917. s 1- 12 . doi: 10.1017/S0033291719002010
- Ernst, Gernot (2017). Heart-Rate Variability - More than Heart Beats?. Frontiers In Public Health. ISSN 2296-2565. 5 . doi: 10.3389/fpubh.2017.00240
- Ernst, Gernot (2017). Hidden signals - the history and Methods of heart rate variability. Frontiers In Public Health. ISSN 2296-2565. 5 . doi: 10.3389/fpubh.2017.00265
- Ernst, Gernot Walter; Watne, Leiv Otto; Frihagen, Frede Jon; Wyller, Torgeir Bruun; Dominik, Andreas & Rostrup, Morten (2017). Decreases in heart rate variability are associated with postoperative complications in hip fracture patients. PLOS ONE. ISSN 1932-6203. 12:e0180423(7), s 1- 14 . doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0180423 Full text in Research Archive.
- Menzel, Michael; Schölzel, Christopher; Ernst, Gernot Walter & Dominik, Andreas (2016). Silicon Hearth: An easy to use interactive real-time baroreflex stimulator. Computing in cardiology. ISSN 2325-8861. 42, s 973- 976 . doi: 10.1109/CIC.2015.7411075
- Ernst, Gernot Walter (2014). Heart Rate Variability. Springer. ISBN 978-1-4471-4308-6. 336 s.