Athanasia Monika Mowinckel
I am part of the cognitive and neuroscience division of the Department of Psychology. My PhD project is on decision making in adult ADHD, and how stimulant medication influences the decision making process in this patient group. I focus especially on reward based decisions (monetary rewards). In addition to this, I will try to see how adults with ADHD activate different brain areas during decisions and whether this is different to healthy controls, and how this process is altered by medication. This part of the project is done in collaboration with The Intervention Center at oslo University Hospital on their 3 Tesla Phillips scanner. As both ADHD and decision making are related to the catecholamines dopamine and serotonin, I am also generally interested in how these neurotransmitters influence our behaviour.
My PhD is part of a larger project with several researchers (please see panel to the right for link), and we cooperate with an ADHD clinic in Tønsberg, which is part of Vestre Viken Hospital Trust.
Apart from my PhD project, I am also very interested in instrinsic brain activation, measured through fMRI. Task-based fMRI looks for changes in bloodflow only equal to about 1%, what the brain does with the remaining 99% is something that has gained increasing interest in the neuroscientific field the last 10 years. This "resting state" can hopefully give us indications of how the brain is functionally organised, in comparison to the structural connectivity which is easier to measure. The hope is being able to use this intrinsic fMRI procedure to help diagnose functional problems, without patients needing to understand and remember complex experimental paradims.
Higher education and employment history
I completed my Bachelor's (under-graduate) in Cognitive Psychology in 2009, and continued to take my Master's degree (2-year post-graduate) in Cognitive neuroscience right after this, both at the University of Oslo. My Master's project was about age-realted changes in resting state patterns in a large sample of adults spanning 20 - 80 years of age.
I worked for several years at Vestre Viken Hospital Trust, Blakstad hospital, as a community worker in a department with mainly schizophrenics and persons with dual diagnosis problems. Additionally, I have worked for some years as a research assistent and a seminar leader at the University of Oslo.
- Fjell, Anders Martin; Chen, Chi-Hua Chen; Sederevicius, Donatas; Sneve, Markus Handal; Grydeland, Håkon; Krogsrud, Stine Kleppe; Amlien, Inge Kasbohm; Ferschmann, Lia; Ness, Hedda; Folvik, Line; Beck, Dani; Mowinckel, Athanasia Monika; Tamnes, Christian Krog; Westerhausen, René; Håberg, Asta; Dale, Anders M & Walhovd, Kristine B (2019). Continuity and discontinuity in human cortical development and change from embryonic stages to old age. Cerebral Cortex. ISSN 1047-3211. 29(9), s 3879- 3890 . doi: 10.1093/cercor/bhy266 Full text in Research Archive.
- Fjell, Anders Martin; Sneve, Markus Handal; Sederevicius, Donatas; Sørensen, Øystein; Krogsrud, Stine Kleppe; Mowinckel, Athanasia Monika & Walhovd, Kristine B (2019). Volumetric and microstructural regional changes of the hippocampus underlying development of recall performance after extended retention intervals. Developmental Cognitive Neuroscience. ISSN 1878-9293. 40:100723, s 1- 12 . doi: 10.1016/j.dcn.2019.100723 Full text in Research Archive.
- Fjell, Anders Martin; Sørensen, Øystein; Amlien, Inge Kasbohm; Bartrés-Faz, David; Bros, Didac Macia; Buchmann, Nikolaus; Demuth, Ilja; Drevon, Christian A; duzel, Sandra; Ebmeier, K P; Idland, Ane-Victoria; Kietzmann, Tim C; Kievit, Rogier; Kühn, Simone; Lindenberger, Ulman; Mowinckel, Athanasia Monika; Nyberg, Lars Erik; Price, Darren; Sexton, Claire; Sole-Padulles, Cristina; Pudas, Sara; Sederevicius, Donatas; Suri, Sana; Wagner, Gerd; Watne, Leiv Otto; Westerhausen, René; Zsoldos, Eniko & Walhovd, Kristine B (2019). Self-reported sleep relates to hippocampal atrophy across the adult lifespan – results from the Lifebrain consortium. Sleep. ISSN 0161-8105. . doi: 10.1093/sleep/zsz280 Full text in Research Archive.
- Vidal-Piñeiro, Didac; Sneve, Markus Handal; Nyberg, Lars; Mowinckel, Athanasia Monika; Sederevicius, Donatas; Walhovd, Kristine B & Fjell, Anders Martin (2019). Maintained Frontal Activity Underlies High Memory Function Over 8 Years in Aging. Cerebral Cortex. ISSN 1047-3211. 29(7), s 3111- 3123 . doi: 10.1093/cercor/bhy177 Full text in Research Archive.
- Mowinckel, Athanasia Monika; Alnæs, Dag; Pedersen, Mads Lund; Ziegler, Sigurd; Fredriksen, Mats; Kaufmann, Tobias; Sonuga-Barke, Edmund J.S.; Endestad, Tor; Westlye, Lars Tjelta & Biele, Guido (2017). Increased default-mode variability is related to reduced task-performance and is evident in adults with ADHD. NeuroImage: Clinical. ISSN 2213-1582. 16, s 369- 382 . doi: 10.1016/j.nicl.2017.03.008 Full text in Research Archive.
- Ziegler, Sigurd; Pedersen, Mads Lund; Mowinckel, Athanasia Monika & Biele, Guido (2016). Modelling ADHD: A review of ADHD theories through their predictions for computational models of decision-making and reinforcement learning. Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews. ISSN 0149-7634. 71, s 633- 656 . doi: 10.1016/j.neubiorev.2016.09.002
- Mowinckel, Athanasia Monika; Pedersen, Mads Lund; Eilertsen, Espen Moen & Biele, Guido (2015). A Meta-Analysis of Decision-Making and Attention in Adults With ADHD. Journal of Attention Disorders. ISSN 1087-0547. 19(5), s 355- 367 . doi: 10.1177/1087054714558872 Show summary
- Mowinckel, Athanasia Monika; Espeseth, Thomas & Westlye, Lars Tjelta (2012). Network-specific effects of age and in-scanner subject motion: A resting-state fMRI study of 238 healthy adults. NeuroImage. ISSN 1053-8119. 63(3), s 1364- 1373 . doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2012.08.004 Show summary