Nils-Henrik M. von der Fehr - Curriculum vitae
Department of Econmics, University of Oslo
- Dr polit in Economics, University of Oslo, 1992
- Masters Degree in Economics, University of Oslo, 1987
- BSc Mathematics, Statistics, and Computer Science, University of Oslo, 1983
- Head of Department of Economics, University of Oslo, 2008-2015
- Professor, Department of Economics, University of Oslo, 1998-
- Associate Professor, Department of Economics, University of Oslo, 1992-1998
- Research Fellow, Department of Economics, University of Oslo, 1989-1991
- Researcher, SAF Centre for Applied Research, 1987-1989
- Assistant Researcher, Central Bureau of Statistics Norway, 1984-1987
Other Academic Experience
- Guest Lecturer, University of Heidelberg, 2001
- Visiting fellow, Nuffield College, University of Oxford, 1998-1999
- Scientific Advisor, Frisch Centre for Applied Economic Research, 1992-
- Lecturer, Norwegian School of Management, 1991
- Visitor for the Purposes of Study, Nuffield College, University of Oxford, 1990-1991
- Lecturer, University of Botswana (Summer School), 1990-1993
- Lecturer, Norwegian School of Economics and Business Administration, 1989-1994
- Assessor appointed by the Eastern High Court of Denmark in case between SBS Discovery/Viasat and TV2/Denmark, 2015-
- Joint Academic Director, CERRE Centre on Regulation in Europe, 2015-
- Mediator for Norwegian Collective Agreement Negotiations, 2012-
- Member of the Editorial Board of Economics of Energy & Environmental Policy, 2011-
- Member of THINK A Think Tank Hosting an Interdisciplinary Network to provide Knowledge support to EU Energy Policy Making financed by FP7 grant from DG Energy, 2010-2013
- Member of Editorial Board of The Journal of the European Economic Association, 2006-2012
- Member of the Board of Petoro AS, 2005-2015
- Member of European Energy Institute, 2004-
- Member of Scientific Council of CIVITA Centre for Business and Society, 2004-
- Chairman of Norwegian Ministry of Administration and Labour Expert Commission on Competition between Public and Private Enterprises, 2004-2005
- Chairman of Norwegian Ministry of Finance Tax Collection Commission, 2003-2004
- Chairman of Norwegian Ministry of Administration and Labour Expert Commission on Competition in the Electricity Industry, 2003
- Member of Norwegian Government University Law Commission, 2003
- Member of Norwegian Competition Authority Expert Group on Electricity Markets, 2001-2002
- Member of Dutch Electricity Market Surveillance Committee, 2001-2005
- Member of Norwegian Government Business Law Committee, 1997-2001
- Member of Norwegian Competition Authority Expert Committee on Competition Policy, 1997-1998
- Member of the Norwegian Prime Minister’s Forum on Economic Growth, 1995-1998
- Member of the Norwegian Government Savings and Equity Commission, 1995
- Member of the Prize Committee of Sosialøkonomenes Forening, 1992-1995
- Winner of the Sosialøkonomenes Forening Prize for Best Paper in Sosialøkonomen and Norsk økonomisk Tidsskrift, 1989
- Industrial economics, general (JEL L00)
- Oligopoly and other forms of market imperfection (JEL D43, L13)
- Auctions (JEL D44)
- Competition policy (JEL K21)
- Regulation (JEL L43, L51)
- Regulation of utilities (electric and other) (JEL L95)
Books and articles in International Journals and Essay Collections
Renewable Energy Policy Instruments and Market Power (with Stephanie Ropenus), Scandinavian Journal of Economics forthcoming.
Transparency in Electricity Markets, Economics of Energy & Environmental Policy 2 (2), 71-89, 2013 (DOI 10.5547/2160-58184.108.40.206).
Price volatility and risk exposure: on the interaction of quota and product markets (with Fridrik M Baldursson), Environmental and Resource Economics 52 (2), 213-33, 2012 (DOI 10.1007/s10640-011-9525-3).
Market design and investment incentives, (with Natalia Fabra and María-Ángeles de Frutos), The Economic Journal 121 (December), 1340–1360, 2011 (DOI 10.1111/j.1468-0297.2011.02450.x).
Electricity retailing in Norway (with Petter Vegard Hansen), The Energy Journal 31 (1), 25-45, 2010.
Prices vs. quantities: public finance and the choice of regulatory instruments (with Fridrik M Baldursson), European Economic Review 52 (7), 1242-55, 2008.
A whiter shade of pale: on the political economy of regulatory instruments (with Fridrik M Baldursson), Journal of the European Economic Association 5 (1), 37-65, 2007.
Designing electricity auctions (with Natalia Fabra and David C Harbord), The RAND Journal of Economics 37 (1), 23-46, 2006.
The Nordic market: signs of stress? (with Eirik S. Amundsen and Lars Bergman), The Energy Journal, Special Edition on European Electricity Liberalisation, July 2005.
Prices versus quantities: the irrelevance of irreversibility (with Fridrik M Baldursson), The Scandinavian Journal of Economics 106 (4), 805-21, 2004.
Price volatility and risk exposure: on market-based environmental policy instruments (with Fridrik M Baldursson), Journal of Environmental Economics and Management 48, 682-704, 2004.
Keeping the Lights On – Power Sector Reform in Latin America (co-edited with Jaime Millán), Inter-American Development Bank, Baltimore: John Hopkins University Press, 2003.
Regulation with Bargaining (with Dag Morten Dalen and Espen Moen), The Economic Journal 113 (April), 525-538, 2003.
Modelling electricity auctions (with Natalia Fabra and David C Harbord), The Electricity Journal 15 (7), 72-81, 2002.
Who should be responsible for competition policy in regulated industries?, in E Hope (ed), Competition Policy Analysis, Routeledge Studies in Modern World Economy, London: Routledge, 2000.
A European Market for Electricity? (with Lars Bergman, Gert Brunekreeft, Christopher Doyle, David M. Newbery, Michael Pollitt and Pierre Regibeau), Monitoring European Dergulation 2, Centre for Economic Policy Research / SNS, 1999.
Persuasive advertising and product differentiation (with Kristin Stevik), Southern Economic Journal 65 (1), 113-26, 1998.
Water on fire: gains from electricity trade (with Lise Sandsbråten), The Scandinavian Journal of Economics 99 (2), 281-97, 1997.
Coase vs. Pacman - who eats whom in the durable goods monopoly (with Kai-Uwe Kühn), Journal of Political Economy 103 (4), 785-812, 1995.
Capacity investment and long-run efficiency in market-based electricity industries (with David Harbord), in Ole Jess Olsen (ed), Competition in the Electricity Supply Industry: Evidence from Europe and the United States, Copenhagen: DJØF Publishing, 1995.
Predatory pricing in sequential auctions, Oxford Economic Papers 46, 345-356, 1994.
Entry-inducing technology adoption, Economics Letters 42 (2-3), 269-273, 1993.
Tradable emission rights and strategic interaction, Environmental and Resource Economics 3, 129-151, 1993.
Spot market competition in the UK electricity industry (with David Harbord), Economic Journal 103 (May), 531-546, 1993.
How entry threats induce slack, International Journal of Industrial Organization 10 (2), 231-249, 1992.
Domestic entry in Norwegian manufacturing industries, in (eds) Paul Geroski and Joachim Schwalbach, Entry and Market Contestability: An International Comparison, Oxford: Basil Blackwell, 1991.
Articles in Norwegian Journals and Essay Collections
(all articles in Norwegian; titles are given in English translation)
The Surprise Auction (Overraskelsesauksjonen), Samfunnsøkonomen 128 (2),15-26.
Regulation of the electricity network (Regulering av strømnettet), Samfunnsøkonomen 125 (3), 74-82.
The TINE case – regulation, price formation and dominance (TINE-saken – regulering, prisdannelse og dominans), Samfunnsøkonomen 64 (9), 13-23.
Benefits and costs of mergers and acquisitions (with Lars Sørgard), in K P Hagen, A Sandmo and L Sørgard (eds), Konkurranse i samfunnets interesse – festskrift til Einar Hope, Bergen: Fagbokforlaget, 2004.
A level playing field?, in E Hope (ed), Næringspolitikk for en ny økonomi, Bergen: Fagbokforlaget, 2002.
Market power and transmission bottlenecks (with Tor Arnt Johnsen), Økonomisk Forum 56 (6), 6-9, 2002.
Market power in the power market (with Tor Arnt Johnsen), Økonomisk Forum 56 (4), 20-28, 2002.
Conditions for efficient competition on the new telecommunications markets (Betingelser for effektiv konkurranse på de nye telemarkeder), Sosialøkonomen 54 (3), 28-35, 2000.
Government ownership (Staten som eier), Praktisk Økonomi & Finans, nr. 1, 2000.
Investment and capacity in market-based electricity industries, in C Riis and A Rødseth (eds), Markeder, ressurser og fordeling – artikler i anvendt økonomi, Ad Notam Gyldendal, 1998.
Regulating for competition, in K P Hagen (ed), Regulering og konkurranse, SNF-Årbok 1997, Fagbokforlaget, 1997.
Access pricing - an introduction to the literature, Norsk økonomisk tidsskrift 110 (4), 263-289, 1996.
Reform of the system for local government financing - a critique, Sosialøkonomen 50 (4), 12-14, 1996.
On the theoretical foundations of Norwegian competition policy in Einar Hope, Preben Munthe, Anders Chr Stray Ryssdal and Steinar Undrum (eds), Marked, konkurranse og politikk - festskrift til Egil Bakke, Fagbokforlaget,1995.
Deregulation and international trade in electricity, Sosialøkonomen 47 (1), 26-31, 1993.
Revising Norwegian anti-trust law - a comment, Sosialøkonomen 46 (1), 5-9, 1992.
The British electricity experiment, Sosialøkonomen 45 (3), 2-7, 1991.
Barriers to entry - a survey, Norsk økonomisk tidsskrift 103 (3), 207-240, 1989.
Macro-economic implications of growth in the Norwegian manufacturing industries, Norsk økonomisk tidsskrift 102 (3), 217-230, 1988.