Magnus Bergli Rasmussen
Comparative political economy, welfare state development (throughout the world), inequality and redistribution, labor market regulation and working time, trade unions and corporatism, political survival, electoral systems, party organization, international organization with a specific focus on ILO, redistributive norms.
My current major project is on the two pathways to social reforms in the inter-war period: The first pathway goes through revolutionary fright associated with the Bolshevik revolution and communist organization. The second through the reformist organizations and movements such as the social democratic parties, associated trade unions and the international labor organization.
Has taught in several BA- and MA-courses, particularly in Statistics and Research Methods, Comparative Politics, Political Economy and International Politics.
2019-today Assistant Professor, University of Oslo (1 of February 2019)
2018-today Associate professor (20%), University of Stavanger
2016-today Senior Researcher (Associate Research Professor, 20% from 2019) Institute for Social Research/Norway
2013-2016 PhD. Fellow. Department of Political Science, Aarhus University, Denmark
2014-2015 Trade Union Organization in 66 Industrial and Developing Nations
2013-2015 Social Policy around the World (SPaW) database vers. 1 (2013-2015). Download codebook
2013-2018 Social Policy around the World (SPaW) database vers. 2 (ongoing). Part of DEEPI-project with Carl Henrik Knutsen.
2017-2019 Patterns of conflict and co-operation in Norwegian labor markets since 1900 (ongoing). Together with Haakon Gjerløw
2014-2019 Working Time Regulation in 201 Independent and dependent states from 1789 to 2014 download dataset here
- Knutsen, Carl Henrik & Rasmussen, Magnus Bergli (2019). Majoritarian systems, rural groups, and (arrested) welfare state development. International Political Science Review. ISSN 0192-5121. . doi: 10.1177/0192512118809106 Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Rasmussen, Magnus Bergli & Skorge, Øyvind Søraas (2019). The business of change: Employers and work-family policy reforms, In Dennie Oude Nijhuis (ed.), Business Interests and the Development of the Modern Welfare State. Routledge. ISBN 9780815377917. 10. Full text in Research Archive.
- Knutsen, Carl Henrik & Rasmussen, Magnus (2018). The Autocratic Welfare State: Old-Age Pensions, Credible Commitments, and Regime Survival. Comparative Political Studies. ISSN 0010-4140. 51(5), s 659- 695 . doi: 10.1177/0010414017710265 Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Knutsen, Carl Henrik & Rasmussen, Magnus Bergli (2018). Electoral Rules, Labor Market Coordination and Macroeconomic Performance. Scandinavian Political Studies. ISSN 0080-6757. 41(3), s 367- 378 . doi: 10.1111/1467-9477.12126 Full text in Research Archive.
- Rasmussen, Magnus & Pontusson, Jonas (2017). Working-Class Strength by Institutional Design? Unionization, Partisan Politics, and Unemployment Insurance Systems, 1870 to 2010. Comparative Political Studies. ISSN 0010-4140. 51(6), s 793- 828 . doi: 10.1177/0010414017710269 Show summary
- Pedersen, Axel West; Grødem, Anne Skevik; Rasmussen, Magnus Bergli & Wagner, Ines (2019). Inntektssikring for befolkningen i yrkesaktiv alder – en sammenligning av syv nordeuropeiske land.
- Knutsen, Carl Henrik & Rasmussen, Magnus (2017). Offering pensions can help autocrats stay in power longer. Washington Post.
- Rasmussen, Magnus (2017). Forskning viser at: Velgerne går til høyre i nedgangstider. Dagens næringsliv. ISSN 0803-9372.
- Rasmussen, Magnus; Jensen, Carsten & Andersen, David (2017). Suffering from Suffrage: Welfare State Development and the Politics of Negative Conditionality.
- Rasmussen, Magnus & Knutsen, Carl Henrik (2017). Party Institutionalization and Welfare State Development. Show summary
- Sterri, Aksel Braanen & Rasmussen, Magnus (2011). Sommerferieeffekten. Nytt Norsk Tidsskrift. ISSN 0800-336X. 28(2), s 213- 218