CityStudio – learn while making a difference in Oslo!
Do you want to make Oslo more sustainable and at the same time gain credits and work-related experience? Collaboration, urban development and sustainability are keywords for the course CityStudio Oslo, which is now recruiting a new cohort of students for autumn 2020.
UiO, NMBU, OsloMet, AHO and Oslo municipality offer students a unique opportunity to develop projects through a course (30 credits) called CityStudio Oslo. These student led projects help make Oslo a better and even greener city to live in.
An interdisciplinary study that leaves a mark in the city
As a student at CityStudio Oslo, you identify and refine a challenge or problem through dialogue with actors such as the municipality, business and residents. As part of the course, you test possible solutions by designing, planning and executing a suitable project in the city.
About the course
- The course is offered at the Department of Sociology and Human Geography at UiO.
- The course is taught in collaboration with NMBU, AHO and OsloMet.
- Many guest lecturers also visit the studio to lead workshops.
- Students who follow the course will have a solid interdisciplinary platform and will also become well acquainted with the municipality of Oslo and the challenges one of Europe's fastest growing cities must solve.
- The course is open to students at UiO, NMBU and OsloMet who have completed 120 credits in their bachelor's degree.
- The course is taught Monday to Friday from 09:15-15:30 during the period August to December. High attendance is compulsory.
- In 2020 the course is offered at bachelor's level. The language of instruction is English.
- The course will be conducted even if it must be changed to a fully digital solution.
If you have questions about CityStudio Oslo, please contact:
Professor Per Gunnar Røe for academic issues
Project Manager Jennifer Vallee for practical issues
Success in 2019
CityStudio Oslo was implemented for the first time in 2019. A total of five projects were completed and presented in Oslo City Hall.
The course is nominated for DIKU's award for quality in higher education and has received very good feedback in evaluations.
How to apply for admission to CityStudio Oslo?
There is limited capacity and students who want admission to the course must submit an application and undergo an interview.