In a time of climate crisis, is there room for thought and discussion?
In cooperation with UiO: Energy and the Science Library, we invite you to this Cities & Society seminar, with lunch. The main speaker will be Timothy Kevin Richardson, professor in urban planning at the Norwegian University of Life Sciences.
Climate change is here, creating an urgent need for adaptation and mitigation. At the same time the process of establishing sustainable cities is time consuming, partly because new policies and strategies should be open to public debate. Is there a conflict between democratic principles and the urgency to reduce carbon footprints?
- 12:00-12:15 Lunch and mingling
- 12:15-13:00 «Legitimacy, urgency, sustainability: room for deliberation?» Timothy Kevin Richardson, Professor, Norwegian University of Life Sciences.
- 13:00-13:15 Comments by Gro Sandkjær Hansen, Researcher, NIBR/OsloMet.
- 13:15-13:30 Comments by Lars Böcker, Postdoc, Department of Sociology and Human Geography UiO.
- 13:30-14:00 Discussion moderated by Per Gunnar Røe, Professor, Department of Sociology and Human Geography UiO.
The seminar and light lunch (from 12.00) are free, but please register for the event.
Timothy Kevin Richardson is professor in urban planning in the Department of Urban and Regional Planning at the Norwegian University of Life Sciences (NMBU). His research examines the power dynamics that play out in spatial planning and impact assessment processes, where mobility and environment are at stake. Read more
Gro Sandkjær Hanssen is a researcher at Norwegian Institute for Urban and Regional Research. Her research interests are related to participation, co-ordination and governance challenges at local and regional level, especially related to urban planning. Read more
Lars Böcker is an Postdoc at Department of Sociology and Human Geography and reseracher at Institute of Transport Economics (TØI). His research interest are in the ares of climate, weather and daily mobility, urban metabolism and Smart cities. Read more
Per Gunnar Røe, is Professor at Department of Sociology and Human Geography at UiO. His research covers city planning, architecture, urbanism and sub-urbanism. Read more