Gail Hochachka is a PhD candidate at University of Oslo, Norway. She is interested in the deeper human dimensions of climate change and how to construe adaptation as transformation to sustainability, with a focus on the unique dynamics and drivers of transformation present in individuals, groups and systems. Her study involves the highland coffee communities of Guatemala as well as buyers, retailers and consumers of coffee in North America.
- North / South Development
- Environment and Society
- Environment and Innovation
- Transformations to Sustainability
Brief presentation of previous work experience and education:
Gail Hochachka is a doctoral research fellow at the University of Olso, Norway, working with Dr. Karen O'Brien in the AdaptationCONNECTS project (Combining Old and New kNoweldge to Enable Conscious Transformation) to develop new understandings of whether and how different types of transformations can contribute to successful adaptation to climate change. Previously, she spent 18 years working with non-profit organizations in sustainable development in Africa, Latin America and North America on diverse themes such as rainforest conservation, community development, women’s empowerment, sustainability leadership, global value chains, and climate resilience. Her Masters research drew on interdisciplinary studies and conducted field work in El Salvador, to contribute to the development of a theory and practice of integral community development. Some of her work with NGOs involved conducting action research projects on topics such as on how to include the human dimensions better in international development, on how to monitor and evaluate both the 'hard' and 'soft' capacities needed for successfully in sustainability projects, and on how to engage local perspectives in community-based climate change adaptation. She taught at the graduate level at John F. Kennedy University from 2006-2013, both on campus and online, and pioneered field courses in El Salvador and Peru. She is currently on a research stay at the University of British Columbia, Canada, at the Social-Ecological Systems research group under Dr. Shannon Hagerman.
- Hochachka, Gail (2021). Integrating the four faces of climate change adaptation: Towards transformative change in Guatemalan coffee communities. World Development. ISSN 0305-750X. 140, s 1- 15 . doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.worlddev.2020.105361 Show summary
- Hochachka, Gail (2020). The scenic route: A developmental approach emphasizes the importance of human interiority in transformative approaches to climate change.. Integral Review. ISSN 1553-3069. 16(1), s 187- 214 Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Hochachka, Gail (2020). Unearthing insights for climate change response in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. Global Sustainability. ISSN 2059-4798. s 1- 10 . doi: 10.1017/sus.2020.27 Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Hochachka, Gail (2019). On matryoshkas and meaning-making: Understanding the plasticity of climate change. Global Environmental Change. ISSN 0959-3780. 57, s 1- 19 . doi: 10.1016/j.gloenvcha.2019.05.001
- Veland, Siri; Scoville-Simonds, Morgan; Gram-Hanssen, Irmelin; Schorre, Ann Kristin; El Khoury, Ann; Nordbø, Milda Jonusaite; Lynch, Amanda H.; Hochachka, Gail & Bjørkan, Maiken (2018). Narrative matters for sustainability: the transformative role of storytelling in realizing 1.5°C futures. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability. ISSN 1877-3435. 31, s 41- 47 . doi: 10.1016/j.cosust.2017.12.005 Full text in Research Archive.
- Hochachka, Gail (2020, 02. mai). COVID Meets Climate: Salience and Luminosity. [Internett]. A New Republic of the Heart with Terry Patten. Show summary
- Hochachka, Gail (2020, 22. januar). Climate Change Solutions: Adapt or Transform?. [Internett]. Integral Justice Warrior with Diane Hamilton. Show summary
- Hochachka, Gail (2020, 17. februar). Climate Change: From Alarmism to Anti-Fragility. [Internett]. Integral Justice Warrior with Diane Hamilton. Show summary
- Hochachka, Gail (2020). Integrating the four faces of adaptation: Toward transformative change in Guatemalan coffee communities. Show summary
- Hochachka, Gail (2020, 10. mars). Intersubjectivity, Social Justice, and Climate. [Internett]. Integral Justice Warrior with Diane Hamilton. Show summary
- Hochachka, Gail (2020, 31. mars). Love in the Time of Corona. [Internett]. Integral Justice Warrior with Diane Hamilton. Show summary
- Hochachka, Gail (2020). Unearthing complexities: COVID-19 versus climate change. Show summary
- Hochachka, Gail (2019). On matryoshkas and meaning-making: Understanding the plasticity of climate change.
- Hochachka, Gail & O'Fallon, Terri (2019, 30. oktober). Climate Change and the use of the STAGES assessment for understanding worldviews. [Internett].
- O'Brien, Karen; Hochachka, Gail & Gram-Hanssen, Irmelin (2019). Creating a Culture for Transformation, In Guiseppe Feola; Hilary Geoghegen & Alex Arnall (ed.), Climate and Culture : Multidisciplinary Perspectives on a Warming World. Cambridge University Press. ISBN 9781108422505. 12. s 266 - 290
- Hochachka, Gail (2018). Beyond the floor boards and the glass ceiling: Working with stages of consciousness in a changing climate.. Show summary
- Hochachka, Gail (2018). The orchestra plays while the Titanic sinks: Exploring coffee and climate change adaptation. Show summary
- Hochachka, Gail (2017). The tetra-meshed Earth: Depth and innovation in climate change adaptation.. Show summary
- Hochachka, Gail (2017). Unexpected innovations for climate change adaptation. Show summary