Oslo Summer School in Comparative Social Science Studies 1999
Cross-National Comparative Research into Electoral Behaviour and Political Representation
Main Discipline: Political Science
Lecturer: Professor Hermann Schmitt
Institution: Mannheimer Zentrum für Europäische Sozial-forschung (MZES),
Mannheim University, Germany
Dates: August 9th - 13th 1999
Despite the strong impact of the Michigan School on electoral research around the globe, studies of electoral behaviour suffer a great deal from national specific perspectives. The course thus aims at opening students` eyes for the possibilities and problems associated with cross-national comparisons in electoral and representation research. In addition to individual-level factors such as issue orientations and partisanship, the role of political institutions in shaping behavioural opportunities and individual preferences will be discussed. Not the least important among those institutions is the election itself; this is why systematic differences in electoral behaviour between first- and second-order elections will be discussed and analysed.
The elections to the European Parliament will be compared with national parliamentary elections, and the challenge of political represen-tation will be discussed both on the national and the European level. The lectures will also put emphasis on the discussion of available data bases and research strategies which are capable of shedding light on cross-national variations in electoral behaviour and political representation. One database in particular will be prominently reviewed and used for exemplary analyses: the integrated Eurobarometer database of ZEUS.
- Dalton, Russel J. (1995): "Political Parties and Political Representation. Party Supporters and Party Elites in Nine Nations", in Comparative Political Science, vol. 18:3, p. 267-299 (32 pp)
- Dalton, Russel J. (1996): "Political Cleavages, Issues and Electoral Change", in: LeDuc Lawrence, Niemi, Richard G. And Norris, Pippa (eds.): Comparing Democracies. Elections and Voting in Global Perspective, Thousand Oaks, London and New Dehli: Sage Publications, p. 319-342 (23 pp)
- Esaiasson, Peter and Sören Holmberg (1996): Representation from Above. Aldershot: Dartmouth. (1996: ch. 5-6)
- Klingemann, Hans-Dieter & Fuchs, Dieter (eds.): Citizens and the State. European Science Foundation. Oxford: Oxford University Press, (1995: ch. 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8)
- Knutsen, Oddbjørn and Scarbrough, Elinor (1995): "Cleavage Politics" in: van Deth, Jan W. And Scarbrough, Elinor (eds.): The Impact of Values (Beliefs in Government, ed. By Max Kaase, Kenneth Newton and Elinor Scarbrough, vol. 4), Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press, p. 492-532 (40 pp)
- Luttbeg, Norman R. (1974): "Introduction. Political Linkage in a Large Society", in: Luttbeg, Norman R. (ed.): Public Opinion and Public Policy. Models of Political Linkage, rev. ed., Homewood, IL: The Dorsey Press, p. 1-10 (10 pp)
- Macdonald, Stuart Elaine and Rabinowitz, George (1998): "On Attempting to Rehabilitate the Proximity Model: Sometimes the Patient just can`t be Helped", in: The Journal of Politics, vol. 60:3, p. 653-690 (37 pp)
- Norris, Pippa (1998): "Introduction", in: Norris, Pippa, (ed.): Elections and Voting Behaviour. New Challenges, New Perspectives, Aldershot, Brookfield, Singapore and Sidney: Ashgate/Dartmouth, p. xiii-xxv (13 pp)
- Norris, Pippa and Franklin, Mark (1997): "Social Representation", in: European Journal of Political Research, vol. 32:2, p. 185-210 (25 pp)
- Schmitt, Hermann and Holmberg, Sören (1995): "Political Parties in Decline?", in: Klingemann, Hans-Dieter and Fuchs, Dieter (eds.): Citizens and the State (Beliefs in Government, ed. By Max Kaase, Kenneth Newton, and Elinor Scarbrough, vol.1), Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press, p. 95-133 (38 pp)
- Thomassen, Jacques and Schmitt, Hermann (eds.), Political Representation and Legitimacy in the European Union. Oxford 1999 (forthcoming)
- Eijk, Cees van der and Franklin, Mark et.al., (1996): Choosing Europe?: The European Electorate and National Politics in the Face of Union. Ann Arbor: The University of Michigan Press. (1996: ch. 19-20)
- Eijk, Cees van der/ Franklin, Mark, and Marsh, Michael (1996): "What Voters Teach Us About Europe-Wide Elections: What Europe-Wide Elections Teach Us About Voters", in: Electoral Studies, vol. 15, no. 2, p. 149-166 (17 pp)
Hermann Schmitt is the director of ZEUS and the co-ordinator of the European Election Studies at the University of Mannheim. He publishes widely in the fields of political parties, electoral behaviour and political representation. Among his writings are Neue Politik in alten Parteien: zum Verhältnis von Gesellschaft und Parteien in der Bundesrepublik, Opladen 1987, and (with Angelika Scheuer), "Det folkliga stödet för EMU", in the Swedish EMU-study Sverige og EMU, Stockholm 1996; he also coedited (with F.U. Pappi), Parteien, Parlamente und Wahlen in Skandinavien, Frankfurt 1994, and (with Oskar Niedermayer), Wahlen und Europäische Einigung, Opladen 1994, and (with Jacques Thomassen) Political Representation and Legitimacy in the European Union, Oxford 1999.