Oslo Summer School in Comparative Social Science Studies
Lectures, Assignments and ECTS Credits
- Our courses comprises 20 hours of lectures over the course of five days (Monday to Friday).
- The courses are at a postgraduate/PhD-level, and the language of instruction for all courses is English.
- The lectures will be held at the University of Oslo, Blindern Campus.
- Courses that require the use of computers will combine ordinary lectures with computer workshops.
- Those who are admitted to the program will receive an extended course curriculum and parts of the required readings in advance.
8 ECTS credits
In order to obtain course approval and to receive a Course Certificate earning 8 ECTS credits, a written essay/assignement of about 15-20 pages (or 6 - 8 000 words) must be submitted after the course. Your essay will be evaluated and commented on by the course lecturer.
Note in particular:
- Please include your full name and a short title of your paper on the front page.
- 6 - 8 000 words is the general suggested word count for all of our summer courses.
- If your course lecturer(s) suggest a shorter/longer paper, or some other type of assignment to be submitted, you should abide by your course lecturer's suggestion in this respect.
- Essays/assignments that does not abide by the general suggested word count and/or the word count suggested by the lecturer, may be rejected.
- Essays/assignments that does not make extensive use of the course syllabus / reading material may be rejected.
- Your essay/assignment should be submitted in either word or pdf format, with 1,5 line spacing. Please make sure you include your name and the title of the course you attended on the front page of the essay/assignment.
- Essays/assignments must be submitted electronically by e-mail to summer school administration, no later than eight weeks after the course has been held.
- Essays will most likely be assessed and commented on by the lecturer within eight to twelve weeks after your submission.
Participants attending two courses and wanting to submit two essays, one for each course they attend, may be given an additional four weeks to prepare their second essay.
A completed course including submission an approved essay earns 8 ECTS credits and will receive a Course Certificate. Please note that the University of Oslo can only recommend that home institutions award participants with 8 ECTS credits (equivalent to 4 U.S. credits).
Deadlines for submitting essays/assignments in 2019:
- Participants who attend week 30, deadline are Monday September 23, 2019.
- Participants who attend week 31, deadline are Monday September 30, 2019.
Participants submitting essays/assignments should expect to receive results/assessments/grading by late November/December 2019.
Letter of attendance
Participants not in need of ECTS credits may request a Letter of attendance only after having participated in the Summer School by sending an e-mail to the summer school administration.
About ECTS credits
ECTS has been developed by the Commission of the European Communities to provide common procedures to guarantee academic recognition of studies abroad. It is a decentralized system based upon principles of mutual trust and confidence between the participating higher education institutions. It provides a way of measuring and comparing learning achievements and transferring them from one institution to another. ECTS is a credit system based on student workload. It involves lectures, seminars, practical work, papers and self-study, and includes all work needed to prepare for an examination or other assessments.