Energy and climate economics, environmental economics, resource economics
- Professor of economics, Universitetet i Oslo, 1981-d.d.
- Visiting Researcher at the University of California, Santa Barbara (Dept. of Economics) fall 1999 and fall 2001.
- Visiting Researcher at the University of California, Berkeley (Dept. of Agricultural and Resource Economics) fall 1995 and fall 1996.
- Senior Researcher at CICERO (Center for International Climate and Energy Research, Oslo) from August 1991 to December 1992.
- Consultant at OECD, June to August 1988.
- Special Consultant at Norges Bank (The Central Bank of Norway), August 1984 to July 1985.
- Special Consultant at The Ministry of Finance in Norway, January to September 1978.
- Visiting Associate Professor at Department of Economics, University of California, San Diego, January to July 1982.
- Visiting Scholar at Department of Economics, M.I.T., 1976-1977
- Scientific Advisor of the Frisch Centre of Economic Research
- Associate researcher at Vista Analyse
- Fellow at The Beijer Institute of Ecological Economics
- Fellow at CESifo
- Area director of Energy and Climate Economics at CESifo
- Member of the Scientific Advisory Board of Environmental and Resource Economics
- Member of the Editorial Board, Resource and Energy Economics
- The SJE Prize for the best article published in 2011 in The Scandinavian Journal of Economics, 2012.
- EAERE European Lifetime Achievement Award in Environmental Economics, 2011 (from the European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists).
- Honorary Doctor at the Carl von Ossietzky University of Oldenburg, 2009.
- The Eric Kempe Award in Environmental and Resource Economics, 2000 (from the European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists).
- The Research Prize of the University of Oslo, 1997.
- The 1996 Award for Outstanding Contributions to the Profession of Energy Economics and to its Literature (from the International Association for Energy Economics).
See CV for full publication list
Michael Hoel and Svenn Jensen, "Cutting Costs of Catching Carbon - Intertemporal effects under imperfect climate policy," Resource and Energy Economics, forthcoming (2012).
Michael Hoel, "Carbon taxes and the green paradox," In R. Hahn and U. Ulph (eds.): Climate Change and Common Sense: Essays in Honour of Tom Schelling, Oxford University Press (2012).
Michael Hoel, "The Supply Side of CO2 with Country Heterogeneity," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Volume 113, Issue 4, December 2011, Pages: 846–865 (2011), here
Michael Hoel, "The green paradox and greenhouse gas reducing investments," International Review of Environmental and Resource Economics: Vol. 5:No 4, pp 353-379 (2011), here
Rolf Golombek and Michael Hoel, "International Cooperation on Climate-Friendly Technologies," Environmental and Resource Economics 49, 473-490 (2011), here
Michael Hoel and Aart de Zeeuw, "Can a Focus on Breakthrough Technologies Improve the Performance of International Environmental Agreements?" Environmental and Resource Economics 47, 395-406 (2010), here
Rolf Golombek, Mads Greaker, and Michael Hoel "Carbon Taxes and Innovation without Commitment", The B.E. Journal of Economic Analysis & Policy, Vol. 10, Iss. 1, Aricle 32, (2010), here
Rolf Golombek and Michael Hoel, "Endogenous technology and tradable emission quotas", Resource and Energy Economics 30, 197-208 (2008), here
Michael Hoel and Thomas Sterner, "Discounting and relative prices", Climatic Change 84, 265-280 (2007)
Scott Barrett, and Michael Hoel, "Optimal disease eradication," Environment and Development Economics 12, 627-652 (2007). here
Michael Hoel, "What should (public) health insurance cover?" Journal of Health Economics 26, 2007, 251-262, here
Michael Hoel, Tor Iversen, Tore Nilssen, and Jon Vislie, "Genetic testing in competitive insurance markets with repulsion from chance: A welfare analysis," Journal of Health Economics 25(5), 2006, 847-860, here