Current research interests
Technology and Time Inconsistency, Journal of Political Economy
Contracts and Induced Institutional Change
With Torben Mideksa, to be resubmitted, RAND.
Pledge-and-Review Bargaining, February '19.
Gridlock and Inefficient Policy Instruments
with David Austen-Smith, Wiola Dziuda, Antoine Loeper
Theoretical Economics, forthcoming.
The Political Economy of Weak Treaties
with Marco Battaglini
Journal of Political Economy, forthcoming.
Compliance Technology and Self-enforcing Agreements
with Francesco Lancia and Alessia Russo
Journal of the European Economic Association 17(1), 2019: 1-30.
Conservation Contracts and Political Regimes
with Torben Mideksa
Review of Economic Studies 84(4), 2017: 1708-34.
Private Politics and Public Regulation
with Georgy Egorov
Review of Economic Studies 84(4), 2017: 1652-82.
Participation and Duration of Environmental Agreements
with Marco Battaglini
Journal of Political Economy 124(1), 2016: 160-204.
The Dynamics of Climate Agreements
Journal of the European Economic Association 14(3), 2016: 719-752.
The Market for Conservation and Other Hostages
Journal of Economic Theory 166(November), 2016: 124-151.
Experimentation in Federal Systems
with Steve Callander
Quarterly Journal of Economics 130(2), 2015: 951-1002.
Buy Coal! A Case for Supply-Side Environmental Policy
Journal of Political Economy 120(1), 2012: 77-115
○ Reprinted in Copeland (Ed.) Recent Developments in Trade and the Environment.
Climate Contracts: A Game of Emissions, Investments, Negotiations, and Renegotiations
Review of Economic Studies 79(4), 2012: 1527-57
○ Reprinted in Finus & Caparros (Eds.) Game Theory and International Environmental Cooperation: Essential Readings.
Bribes, Lobbying, and Development
with Jakob Svensson
American Political Science Review 105(1), 2011: 46-63
○ Reprinted in Dutta and Aidt (Eds.), Corruption and Economic Development. The International Library of Critical Writings in Economics
Trading for the Future: Signaling in Permit Markets
with Gunnar Eskeland
Journal of Public Economics 94(9-10), 2010: 749-760.
Strategic Delegation and Voting Rules
Journal of Public Economics 94(1-2), 2010: 102-113.
Do Side Payments Help? Collective Decisions and Strategic Delegation
Journal of the European Economic Association P&P 6(2-3), 2008: 468-477.
Harmonization and Side Payments in Political Cooperation
American Economic Review 97(3), 2007: 871-889.
Organizational Form and the Market for Talent
Journal of Labor Economics 25(3), 2007: 581-611.
Flexible Integration? Mandatory and Minimum Participation Rules
Scandinavian Journal of Economics 108(4), 2006: 683-702.
Majority Rules and Incentives
Quarterly Journal of Economics 120(4), 2005: 535-568.
Book in progress
Climate Contracts, in progress (MIT Press).
3 recent articles are reprinted in books (see CV)
Improving Paris: Credibility, Technology, and Conservation
Coping with the Climate Crisis (Arezki et al., Eds.), 2018, Columbia University Press.
Political Treaties as Incomplete Contracts
The Impact of Incomplete Contracts on Economics (Aghion et al., Eds.), 2016, Oxford University Press.
Games and Resources
with Matti Liski.
Encyclopedia of Energy, Natural Resource, and Environmental Economics 2013, vol. 2: 299-308.
How to Negotiate and Update Climate Agreements
Post-Kyoto International Climate Policy (Aldy and Stavins, Eds.) Cambridge University Press, 2009.
Book review of Environmental Markets: A Property Rights Approach
(by Anderson and Libecap)
Journal of Economic Literature 53(3), 2015.
- Environmental Economics and Climate Change, MIT 2019.
- Dynamic Games in Environmental Economics, PhD Minicourse.
- Environmental Economics, MS course.
- Advanced Micro, PhD course.
- ERC Consolidator Grant 2016-21
- Erik Kempe Award 2013
- Fridtjof Nansen Award for Young Researchers 2013
- Named "one of the 10 foremost Norwegian scholars below 40" (Morgenbladet)
- ERC Starting Grant, 2012-16
- Sandmo junior visiting fellowship 2008, from NHH (first recipient)
- Arnbergska Prize 2006, The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences
- Nationalgaven til Chr. Michelsen, 2000