Palgrave Handbook of the European Administrative System
Jarle Trondal is co-editor of the Palgrave Handbook of the European Administrative System. This important collection examines the emerging bureaucratic framework which underpins the EU and constitutes a primer on the EU administrative system.
This volume examines the emerging bureaucratic framework which underpins the European Union and in doing so constitutes a primer on the administrative system of the EU. Drawing on the latest research from the administrative sciences and using organizational, institutional, and decision-making theories, this volume highlights that analyzing the patterns and dynamics of the administrative capacities of the EU is essential in understanding how the EU shapes European public policy. Accordingly, this study does not examine administrative capacities in isolation but rather analyzes them as structures that mobilize systematic bias in the production of public policy. This layout allows the chapters to tackle pressing questions about the nature of the EU's emerging bureaucracy such as to what extent, how, and under what conditions do administrative systems change and complement pre-existing public administration systems? Can new administrative systems profoundly transform pre-existing ones? And, what are the principled implications of an emergent new European administrative system?
The book includes a number of contributions by ARENA staff:
1. Introduction: The Administrative System of the European Union, Michael W. Bauer and Jarle Trondal
4. EU Administration: Center Formation and Multilevelness, Morten Egeberg
5. A Conceptual Account of the European Administrative Space, Jarle Trondal and B. Guy Peters
11. The Temporary Commission Bureaucrat, Zuzana Murdoch and Jarle Trondal
13. The European Administration: Organizational Structure and Behavioral Implications, Morten Egeberg, Åse Gornitzka, Jarle Trondal and Mathias Johannessen
19. EU's Subordinated Agency Administration and the Rise of Executive Power at the European Level, Morten Egeberg, Maria Martens and Jarle Trondal
20. Exploring EU Commission-Agency Relationship: Partnership or Parenthood? Nina Merethe Vestlund
23. The Expert-Executive Nexus in the European Administrative System: Expert Groups and the European Commission, Åse Gornitzka and Ulf Sverdrup
28. The European Administrative System Reassessed, Jarle Trondal
The Palgrave Handbook of the European Administrative System
Michael W. Bauer and Jarle Trondal (eds)
Palgrave Macmillan, 2015