Hesstvedt's interests include comparative politics, public administration and quantitative methods. In her doctoral project, with the tentative title "The Politics of Policy Advice: Norwegian Policy Advisory Commissions 1972-2019", she studies the use of public advisory commissions in policy-making with a particular focus on questions related to expertise, political control, and politicisation. The PhD project is a part of the EUREX project at ARENA.
Hesstvedt holds her MA and BA in Political Science from the University of Oslo. During her time as a PhD fellow, she has been a visiting PhD at the Institute of Political Science, Aarhus University, and Institute for Public Administration, Leiden University. Prior to joining ARENA, Hesstvedt worked as a research assistant at the Norwegian National Election Study at Institute for Social Research.
- Christensen, Johan & Hesstvedt, Stine (2019). Expertisation or greater representation? Evidence from Norwegian advisory commissions., In Eva Krick & Cathrine Holst (ed.), Experts and Democratic Legitimacy. Tracing the Social Ties of Expert Bodies in Europe. Routledge. ISBN 9780367427535. Chapter 6.
- Christensen, Johan & Hesstvedt, Stine (2018). Expertisation or greater representation? Evidence from Norwegian advisory commissions. European Politics and Society. ISSN 2374-5118. . doi: 10.1080/23745118.2018.1515861 Full text in Research Archive.
- Hesstvedt, Stine (2018). 'Ekspertifisering' av offentlige utvalg? En studie av akademikeres deltakelse i NOU-utvalg fra 1972 og til i dag.. Norsk sosiologisk tidsskrift. ISSN 2535-2512. 2(5), s 381- 400 . doi: 10.18261/issn.2535-2512-2018-05-03 Show summary
- Hesstvedt, Stine (2018). Redistributing Knowledge? How Institutions Affect Citizens’ Political Knowledge Levels: The Scandinavian Case Compared, In Fredrik Engelstad; Cathrine Holst & Gunnar C. Aakvaag (ed.), Democratic State and Democratic Society. De Gruyter Open. ISBN 978-3-11-063407-5. 5. s 94 - 117
- Hesstvedt, Stine (2019). Politicization of expert advice? Tracing political control with academic experts on policy inquiry commissions in Norway, 1973-2017.
- Hesstvedt, Stine & Christiansen, Peter Munk (2019). The Politics of Technocratic Policy-Making.
- Hesstvedt, Stine (2018). Controlling the Expert? A Study of Norwegian Public Advisory Commissions 1972-2016..
- Hesstvedt, Stine (2018). Controlling the Experts? A Study of Norwegian Public Inquiry Commissions 1972-2016 (ECPR). Show summary
- Hesstvedt, Stine (2017). Expertization of Policy Advice: A Cross-Sectoral Analysis..
- Hesstvedt, Stine & Karlsen, Rune (2017). Stortingskandidater : rapport fra stortingskandidatundersøkelsen 2013. Rapport – Institutt for samfunnsforskning. 2017:05. Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Hesstvedt, Stine (2016). Ideology, Knowledge and Context. A multilevel study of "Political Sophistication" across 21 countries. Master thesis..
- Aardal, Bernt; Bergh, Johannes & Hesstvedt, Stine (2015). Vinner man valget hvis man vinner flytvelgerne?. Dagsavisen. ISSN 1503-2892.
- Kleven, Øyvin; Aardal, Bernt; Bergh, Johannes; Hesstvedt, Stine & Hindenes, Ådne (2015). Valgundersøkelsen 2013. Dokumentasjons- og tabellrapport.