Call for MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowship at ARENA
ARENA Centre for European Studies invites eligible researchers to express their interest in developing a funding application for a Marie Skłodowska-Curie (MSCA) Postdoctoral Fellowship (PF).
Are you a researcher looking to enhance your career by moving to Oslo to do research and training activities at one of the leading research centres on European studies?
- ARENA Centre for European Studies invites eligible researchers to express their interest in developing a funding application for a MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowship (PF) and to pursue a 2-year post doctoral research project in close collaboration with a supervisor at ARENA.
- The main objective of Horizon Europe's MSCA PFs is to increase the young researcher’s set of research-related and transferable skills through advanced research, training, supervision and mobility, leading to improved employability and career prospects both in and outside academia.
Who can apply?
- Researchers with a doctoral degree, early in their careers, and with an original and feasible idea for a research project.
- You would need to have successfully defended your PhD no later than 14 September 2022.
- You can have a maximum of eight years of research experience after having obtained your PhD degree.
- Researchers of any nationality, but you may not have resided or carried out your main activity (work, studies, etc.) in Norway for more than 12 months in the three years immediately before the call deadline (MSCA mobility requirement).
What can be funded?
- MSCA Postdoctoral Fellowships are bottom-up, and open to all research topics.
- ARENA will support fellowship projects that build on, or expand, topics covered by one of ARENA's ongoing research projects.
- The Postdoctoral Fellowships lasts from 12 to 24 months.
What do we offer?
- The grant is awarded to, and managed by, the host institution ARENA. The fellow will be employed in a fully-funded post doc position at ARENA. The fellow will be a fully integrated member of ARENA's research staff and included in relevant projects and networks.
- The grant also provides allowances to cover living, travel and family costs, and in addition, the grant contributes to the training, networking and research costs of the fellow, its detailed use to be developed as part of the project.
- Expected starting day of employment: from April 2023.
- ARENA's academic and administrative staff will support your proposal writing, see more information below.
- ARENA's administration and the UiO's International Staff Mobility Office will assist you in moving to Oslo and finding a place to live. Read more about these services and about living in Oslo at ISMO's webpages.
- Step 1
January – mid-March 2022
Contact one of ARENA's researchers or research advisor Geir Kværk (email@example.com) with a very brief project idea (approx. 10 lines) and your CV, to establish whether an expression of interest is worth considering in light of link to ARENA’s ongoing research.
- Step 2
15 March 2022
Submit your CV and an expression of interest by e-mail to Geir Kværk (firstname.lastname@example.org). The expression of interest should be 2-4 pages long and include: (a) a statement of motivation; (b) a brief outline of the project idea; (c) a draft progress plan including ideas for training activities and (non-mandatory) secondments, and; (d) a brief statement of the candidate’s main theoretical and empirical work up to date.
- Step 3
1 April 2022
The expressions of interest will be evaluated by a committee consisting of ARENA’s director and 3 senior research staff, who will announce the selection of up to 2 candidates who are invited to develop an MSCA PF proposal.
- Step 4
April – September 2022
The candidates who are invited to submit a proposal will develop her/his research proposal in close cooperation with ARENA researchers and administration (see further information below), including attending an MSCA PF Master Class organised by the University of Oslo on 18-20 May 2022 (tbc).
- Submission: The MSCA PF application deadline is 14 September 2022.
- It is expected that the candidate makes herself/himself acquainted with basic features of the MSCA PF scheme before submitting the expression of interest, including requirements for the proposal's/project's research and training activities. More information also available in the MSCA 2021-22 Work Programme (from page 27).
- The selected candidate(s) will be expected to set up a detailed plan for the application process and to work closely with ARENA researchers and administration throughout the process, including meetings and seminars at ARENA.
- The selected candidate(s) will be expected to fully participate in the MSCA PF Master Class hosted by the University of Oslo. See information on last year's Master Class, as this year's course will follow roughly the same structure (either online, or in Oslo if the Covid-19 restrictions allow).
- For questions or more information, please contact research advisor Geir Kværk at email@example.com or phone: +47 99513791).