My main interests are in the following general fields of enquiry:
- the anthropology of science and technology particularly in relation to design, engineering and construction practices
- ethnographic approaches to state formation and neo-liberal regulation
- environmental controversies
- the politics of communication broadly conceived to includes language practice, information technologies, community radio, digital visualisation, and art and exhibition practice.
Higher education and employment history
- Director of ESRC Centre for Research on Socio-Cultural Change (CRESC)
- Professor of Social Anthropology, The University of Manchester
- Harvey, Penelope (2012). The Topological Quality of Infrastructural Relation: An Ethnographic Approach. Theory, Culture and Society. Explorations in Critical Social Science. ISSN 0263-2764. 29(4/5), s 76- 92 . doi: 10.1177/0263276412448827
- Harvey, Penelope; Casella, Eleanor; Evans, Gillian; Knox, Hannah; McLean, Christine; Silva, Elizabeth; Thoburn, Nicholas & Woodward, Kath (ed.) (2013). Objects and Materials. Routledge. ISBN 978-0-415-67880-3. 422 s.