Guido Philipp Biele
I am mainly interested in decision making, in particular on decision making in a social context. Decision making can be described as a cognitive process that results in the selection of a course of action among several alternatives. Dry as this definition may sound, it covers not only mundane situations like choosing a dessert, but also more serious ones like deciding to have another child or not.
My research focuses on simple reward based decisions and on how social information influences decision making and learning. When working on these topics, I examine decision making from a computational algorithmic and perspective. That is, I ask how decision problems should be solved, which cognitive processes describe how people make decisions, and how these processes are implemented in the brain. The idea behind this approach is that models that are constrained from insights and data from these three perspectives are more valid than theories that ignore one or more perspectives. In practice, this approach amounts to testing which simple mathematical models can simultaneously describe behavioral data and are consistent with brain data. For instance, I use fMRI to examine if then brain represents decision variables that should be represented according to sequential sampling models of decision making. Another line of research develops models describing how people learn from advice and experience and tests if advice changes how rewards are perceived.
I taught and teach courses on the following topics (bachelor, masters and graduate level):
- Introduction to Judgment and Decision Making
- Behavioral and Neurobiological Perspectives on Reinforcement learning
- Social Learning
- Introduction to fMRI Analysis
- Introduction to Matlab
Higher education and employment history
- 1999: Diploma Psychology at the Freie Universität Berlin in Germany
- 1999-2002: Consultant in Human Resource Management.
- 2003-2005: PhD at the Max Planck Institute for Human Development in Berlin. At the Center for adaptive behavior and cognition I mostly worked on simple mathematical models of cooperation and social learning.
- 2006-2010: Postdoc in the group “Neuroscience for Decision making”, also at the MPI for Human Development (and for half a year at Freie Universität Berlin).
- Since June 2010 : Center for the Study of Human Cognition at the University of Oslo.
In alphabetical order:
- Nathan Berg, University of Texas
- Ido Erev, Technion (Haifa)
- Christian Fiebach, Goethe Universität Frankfurt am Main
- Gerd Gigerenzer, Max Planck Institute for Human Development
- Hauke Heekeren, Freie Universität Berlin
- Richard Gonzalez, University of Michigan
- Shu-Chen Li, Max Planck Institute for Human Development
- Thorsten Pachur, University of Basel
- Marios Philiastides, Freie Universität Berlin
- Jörg Rieskamp, University of Basel
- Blank, Helen; Biele, Guido; Heekeren, Hauke R. & Philiastides, Marios G. (2013). Temporal Characteristics of the Influence of Punishment on Perceptual Decision Making in the Human Brain. Journal of Neuroscience. ISSN 0270-6474. 33(9), s 3939- 3952 . doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.4151-12.2013
- Leknes, Siri Graff; Berna, Chantal; Lee, Michael; Snyder, Gregory; Biele, Guido & Tracey, Irene (2013). The importance of context: When relative relief renders pain pleasant. Pain. ISSN 0304-3959. 154(3), s 402- 410 . doi: 10.1016/j.pain.2012.11.018
- Green, Nikos; Biele, Guido & Heekeren, Hauke R (2012). Changes in Neural Connectivity Underlie Decision Threshold Modulation for Reward Maximization. Journal of Neuroscience. ISSN 0270-6474. 32(43), s 14942- 14950 . doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.0573-12.2012
- Meshi, Dar; Biele, Guido; Korn, Christoph W. & Heekeren, Hauke R. (2012). How Expert Advice Influences Decision Making. PLoS ONE. ISSN 1932-6203. 7(11) . doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0049748
- Biele, Guido; Rieskamp, Jörg; Krugel, Lea K. & Heekeren, Hauke R. (2011). The Neural Basis of Following Advice. PLoS biology. ISSN 1544-9173. 9 . doi: 10.1371/journal.pbio.1001089
- Basten, Ulrike; Biele, Guido; Heekeren, Hauke R. & Fiebach, Christian J. (2010). How the brain integrates costs and benefits during decision making. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science of the United States of America. ISSN 0027-8424. 107(50), s 21767- 21772 . doi: 10.1073/pnas.0908104107
- Graef, Susanne; Biele, Guido; Krugel, Lea K.; Marzinzik, Frank; Wahl, Michael; Wotka, Johann; Klostermann, Fabian & Heekeren, Hauke R. (2010). Differential influence of levodopa on reward-based learning in Parkinson's disease. Frontiers in Human Neuroscience. ISSN 1662-5161. 4 . doi: 10.3389/fnhum.2010.00169
- Mohr, Peter N.C.; Biele, Guido & Heekeren, Hauke R (2010). Neural processing of risk. Journal of Neuroscience. ISSN 0270-6474. 30(19), s 6613- 6619 . doi: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.0003-10.2010
- Mohr, Peter N.C.; Biele, Guido; Krugel, Lea K.; Li, Shu-Chen & Heekeren, Hauke R. (2010). Neural foundations of risk-return trade-off in investment decisions. NeuroImage. ISSN 1053-8119. 49(3), s 2556- 2563 . doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2009.10.060
- Philiastides, Marios G.; Biele, Guido; Vavatzanidis, Niki; Kazzer, Philipp & Heekeren, Hauke R. (2010). Temporal dynamics of prediction error processing during reward-based decision making. NeuroImage. ISSN 1053-8119. 53, s 221- 232 . doi: 10.1016/j.neuroimage.2010.05.052
- Philiastides, Marios G; Biele, Guido & Heekeren, Hauke R (2010). A mechanistic account of value computation in the human brain. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science of the United States of America. ISSN 0027-8424. 107(20) . doi: 10.1073/pnas.1001732107
- Biele, Guido; Erev, Ido & Ert, Eyal (2009). Learning, risk attitude and hot stoves in restless bandit problems. Journal of mathematical psychology (Print). ISSN 0022-2496. 3, s 155- 167 . doi: doi:10.1016/j.jmp.2008.05.006
- Biele, Guido; Rieskamp, Jörg & Gonzalez, Richard (2009). Computational Models for the Combination of Advice and Individual Learning. Cognitive science. ISSN 0364-0213. 33(2), s 206- 242 . doi: DOI: 10.1111/j.1551-6709.2009.01010.x
- Krugel, Lea K.; Biele, Guido; Mohr, Peter N.C.; Li, Shu-Chen & Heekeren, Hauke R (2009). Genetic variation in dopaminergic neuromodulation influences the ability to rapidly and flexibly adapt decisions. Proceedings of the National Academy of Science of the United States of America. ISSN 0027-8424. 106(42), s 17951- 17956 . doi: 10.1073/pnas.0905191106
- Biele, Guido; Rieskamp, Jörg & Czienskowski, Uwe (2008). Explaining cooperation in groups: Testing models of reciprocity and learning. Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes. ISSN 0749-5978. 106, s 89- 105 . doi: 10.1016/j.obhdp.2008.01.001
- Pachur, Thorsten & Biele, Guido (2007). Forecasting from ignorance: the use and usefulness of recognition in lay predictions of sports events. Acta Psychologica. ISSN 0001-6918. 125(1), s 99- 116 . doi: 10.1016/j.actpsy.2006.07.002