Being a specialist for pain treatment and palliative care, I observe daily the effects of different drugs on mental functions and behavior. Beyond that “trivial” factors like sleeping and eating patterns or physical activity might also have an important influence on patient’s perceptions and behavior.
I have studied earlier the autonomic nerve system, the effects of cannabinoids on the brain and complex systems approaches in health sciences.
In the last years, I am focusing on social and political neuroscience. I am interested in the effect of different substances and other parameters on social and political behavior. This includes beyond others diets, drugs, sleep, physical activity, the internet and social media. Many of these factors have changed profoundly in the last two decades, and I attempt to understand its effects on the individual and group level and its complex interactions.
- Ernst, Gernot (2017). Heart-Rate Variability - More than Heart Beats?. Frontiers In Public Health. ISSN 2296-2565. 5 . doi: 10.3389/fpubh.2017.00240
- Ernst, Gernot (2017). Hidden signals - the history and Methods of heart rate variability. Frontiers In Public Health. ISSN 2296-2565. 5 . doi: 10.3389/fpubh.2017.00265
- Ernst, Gernot Walter; Watne, Leiv Otto; Frihagen, Frede Jon; Wyller, Torgeir Bruun; Dominik, Andreas & Rostrup, Morten (2017). Decreases in heart rate variability are associated with postoperative complications in hip fracture patients. PLoS ONE. ISSN 1932-6203. 12:e0180423(7), s 1- 14 . doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0180423
- Menzel, Michael; Schölzel, Christopher; Ernst, Gernot Walter & Dominik, Andreas (2016). Silicon Hearth: An easy to use interactive real-time baroreflex stimulator. Computing in cardiology. ISSN 2325-8861. 42, s 973- 976 . doi: 10.1109/CIC.2015.7411075
- Ernst, Gernot Walter (2014). Heart Rate Variability. Springer. ISBN 978-1-4471-4308-6. 336 s.