Course registration for exchange students
We encourage you to register for courses before you arrive. Exchange students can register for bachelor level courses online in Studentweb. If you want to register for master level courses or courses with formal prerequisites, please submit the online form on this website. If you have any questions, please contact SV-info.
Credits and course load
A full-time student takes courses worth 30 credits per semester. Most courses at the Faculty of Social Sciences are worth 10 credits.
Before you start course registration
Communicate with your home university:
- How many credits do you need to take?
- Do you need to take specific courses in order to fulfill your degree requirements?
- Make a list of courses you want to take in order of priority and write down the following:
- Exam dates
- Lecture dates / times
- Where applicable: seminar dates / times (some courses have several seminars which you can rank in order of priority during the registration process)
- Does the course have formal prerequisites? See "Prerequisites" at the course page.
How do I find timetable information and exam dates?
On the course page, click the semester page “Autumn 2017” and then “Schedule” or “Examination” to find the required information. The semester page for the spring semester of 2018 will be published 23 November.
- You are responsible for making sure that the times and dates for lectures, seminars and exams do not collide.
- It is not possible to change the date of an exam.
You can choose courses from the different faculties at The University of Oslo. Here is a complete list of courses offered in English at the university. If you master a Scandinavian language you can also enroll for courses taught in Norwegian.
Search for courses:
How to register for courses
1. Bachelor level courses: Registration in Studentweb
Please register for bachelor level courses online via the course registration system - Studentweb.
We strongly recommend that you complete registration before December 8.
To register you need your preliminary registration number and PIN code which you will find at the top of your Letter of Admission. The letter is available in Søknadsweb under “My Documents”.
- Log in to Studentweb and start registration
- Complete registration steps 1 - 5
- You choose courses at step 2 “Study plan”
- Click "Add" next the course you want to take (if you can't find the courses you want in Studentweb, please contact SV-info)
- Complete all steps for each course. Check the semester page for the lecture and seminar schedule before choosing seminar groups.
- You can check which courses you have signed up for under "My active courses"
December 1 - December 8: Apply for courses
Until December 13 your registration window will show 'Admission in progress'. Check Studentweb on December 13 to see if you have been admitted.
January 2 - February 1, 2018: Register for courses
From January 2 to February 1 the course registration is on a first come, first served basis and free spots fill up quickly.
2. Master level courses and courses with formal prerequisites
Master level courses and courses with formal prerequisites do not appear in Studentweb. Information about prerequisites is found on each course page under “Prerequisites”. Please submit the online form below if you would like to be registered for master level courses or courses with formal prerequisites.
Courses taught in Norwegian will also not be available in Studentweb. Please submit the online form below if you master a Scandinavian language and want to take courses in Norwegian.
Please submit the online form with following information:
- a prioritised list of courses that you would like to take
- include the courses you have already registered for in Studentweb, but specify which courses you need help to register for
- state how many credits you would like to take in total
- if the course has seminars rank the seminar groups in order of priority (please rank three seminar groups)
We will then assess your eligibility for your preferred courses and see if it is possible to register you manually. Course registration will depend on availability, capacity, and whether you have met the prerequisite requirements.
3. Norwegian language courses
Exchange students also register for Norwegian language courses in Studentweb.
Registering for Norwegian courses (Information from the Department of Linguistics and Scandinavian Studies)
February 1: Final deadline
The final deadline for course registration is February 1.
Please contact SV-info