Oslo Summer School in Comparative Social Science Studies
Finding accommodation in Oslo
Participants in our courses must arrange accommodation in Oslo by themselves, unless choosing the option that is arranged by Oslo Summer School.
Oslo is a fairly expensive city to visit, and finding accommodation at cheap or moderate prices is often difficult if not impossible, and especially close to the summer months.
This Accommodation Guide recommends some of the options to be found in Oslo, including brief information in general.
- Oslo Budget Accommodation at Travellers Point is a good starting point if you are trying to find anything reasonable in Oslo for your visit.
Accommodation organized by Oslo Summer School:
- Week 30, 22 - 29 July: Fully booked
- Week 31, 28 July - 5 August: Fully booked
Oslo Summer School have pre-reserved a limited number of standard single rooms at Scandic Holberg Hotel centrally located in downtown Oslo with easy access to public transportation taking you to the University campus in less than 15 minutes (both tram and subway accessable). The price is NOK 650,- a night. Breakfast is included in the price.
If you want a good quality city hotel, including staying at a hotel where some of the other students (and the lecturers) are staying, then this would be the option for you. However, if you are traveling on a budget, you should probably look into some of the budget options listed below, rather than choosing this offer.
Here is how you proceed with booking a room at Scandic Holberg Hotel.
- You may enlist yourself for this option by sending an e-mail to Oslo Summer School organizers (Tron Harald Torneby) stating your correct arrival and departure dates no later than May 15th 2017.
- You will receive a booking confirmation from the Oslo Summer School organizers by e-mail.
- Payment for your hotel room should be done by yourself directly to the Scandic Holberg Hotel during your stay.
Some other budget options that we have checked out:
- Ellingsen Pension is a nice and reasonable Bed & Breakfast centrally located near public transportation taking you easy to University campus.
- Haraldsheimen Youth Hostel offers a beautiful view and surroundings a few kilometers outside of the City center. Public transport is found close by the hostel.
- Oslo Apartments is suggested if you plan to travel to Oslo along with two or more friends (and perhaps even stay longer than one week in Oslo). Oslo Apartments provides apartments of various sizes and prices all around Oslo.
- Anker Hostel is located in the center of downtown Oslo, and they provide anything from single rooms to 5-6 bunk bedrooms. This place is recommended if you like to stay close to where 'things are happening' at a quite reasonable price. Anker Hostel is located very close to public transport (takes about 20 minutes to campus by tram). This place might get fully booked early in the spring/summer, so making reservations early is suggested.
- Perminalen is located downtown central Oslo. They offer single rooms or shared rooms at fairly reasonable prices. Public transport to campus may be found 5-8 minutes walk from the hostel.
- Airbnb is always worth checking out if you want private accommodation for a reasonable price.
- Visit Oslo provides general information about Oslo and surroundings, including information about various types of accommodation (mainly city hotels).
- Use-it provides plenty of 'alternative' information for young travelers, including information about accommodation in Oslo.
Note that Oslo is heavily invaded by tourists during the summer months. Trying to book a room closer to the month of July may often prove tricky, and in particular accommodation downtown in Oslo. Oslo Summer School thus strongly suggest that you arrange for your accommodation in Oslo as soon as you have gained admission to our courses.
The Oslo Summer School organizers may help you sort out various practical matters if you have problems in sorting out your accommodation in Oslo during your stay (within reasonable limits).
Travelling to Oslo:
Oslo is served by many airlines and two airports. The main airport is Gardermoen (OSL), which has the fastest shuttle service by train to the city center, however you may save some by taking the bus or local train instead of the airport shuttle train.