Pietro Castelli Gattinara is Assistant Professor (Postdoctoral Fellow) at C-Rex, University of Oslo. His research interests include comparative politics and the study of migration in Europe, with a particular focus on the far right, populism and neo-Fascism.
From 2015 to 2017, he has been a Research Fellow at the Centre on Social Movement Studies, Scuola Normale Superiore. There, he worked on far right collective action during political crises. In previous years, he has been a teaching fellow of Comparative and European Politics at Sciences Po Paris and at Monash University. He holds a Master of Research and a PhD in Political and Social Sciences (2014) from the European University Institute, where he discussed a thesis on local politics and party competition on migration. He is a graduate of Political Science (University of Rome), and holds a Master of Science in Migration and Ethnic Relations from Utrecht University (2010).
Over the past years, he has collaborated on a number of national and international research projects on topics relating to social movements and political participation, governmental responsiveness, and political communication. He is proficient in both quantitative and qualitative methods, and has a solid background in ethnographic and mixed-methods research.
He publishes in English, French and Italian. His work appeared in a number of international peer-reviewed journals and edited volumes. He is the author of the monograph The politics of migration in Italy: local, party and electoral perspectives (Routledge, 2016), and co-author of Fascisti del Terzo Millennio? (Bonanno, 2014).
- European politics
- Right-wing extremism;
- Social movements
Far Right Mobilization and the European Crises: Electoral and Protest Politics
- Collective Action and the Refugee Crisis (Scuola Normale Superiore)
- The Charlie Hebdo Debate: Critical Junctures and Deliberation in the Public Sphere (European University Institute and Scuola Normale Superiore)
- CasaPound: Far-Right Mobilization in times of crisis (European University Institute)
2016 The Politics of Migration in Italy: perspectives on local and party competition. Abingdon and New York: Routledge.
2015 Fascisti di un altro millennio? Crisi e partecipazione in CasaPound Italia [Third Millennium Fascists? CasaPound Italia, the Crisis and Political Participation], with M. Albanese, G. Bulli, and C. Froio. Roma/Acireale: Bonanno Editore.
Articles in peer reviewed journals
Forthcoming (2018) “Aliud pro alio: context and narratives within a neo-Nazi community of practice”, with F.M. Poppi, Journal of Language and Politics, accepted for publication.
2017 “Framing exclusion in the public sphere: Far-right mobilization and the debate on Charlie Hebdo in Italy”, South European Society and Politics, 22(3), pp.345-364.
2017 “The Refugee Crisis as a Crisis of Legitimacy”, Contemporary Italian Politics, 9(3), pp. 318-331.
2017 “Italy: European Journal of Political Research Political Data Yearbook”, with C. Froio, European Journal of Political Research, 56(1), pp.151-158.
2017 “Far Right Communication in the Third Millennium: The Mediatised Politics of CasaPound Italia”, with C. Froio, Comunicazione Politica, 1(17), pp. 55-76.
2016 “Direct social actions and far right mobilization: the relationship between ideas and action in the extreme right”, with C. Froio, Participation and Conflict, 9(3), pp.1040-1066.
2015 “Neo-fascist mobilization in contemporary Italy Ideology and repertoire of action of CasaPound Italia”, with C. Froio, Journal for deradicalization, 2(1), pp. 86-118.
2014 “Identity Building and Action Repertoires in CasaPound: Discourses, Symbols and Practices of Violence”, with C. Froio, Int. Journal of Conflict and Violence, 8(1), pp. 154-170.
2013 “The appeal of Neo-Fascism in times of crisis: the experience of CasaPound Italia”, with C. Froio and M. Albanese, Journal of Comparative Fascist Studies, 2(2), pp. 234–258.
Chapters in edited volumes
Forthcoming (2018) “Europeans, shut the borders! Anti-refugee mobilization in Italy and France” in D. della Porta (ed.) Contentious moves: Solidarity mobilizations in the ‘Long Summer of Migration’, Palgrave Macmillan, in press.
Forthcoming (2018) “Neo-Fascist movement parties in Italy: The extreme right between electoral and protest politics” in M. Caiani and O. Cisar (eds.) Far Right ‘Movement-Parties’ in Europe, London: Routledge.
2017 “The politicization and securitization of migration in Europe: Public opinion, political parties and the immigration issue”, with L. Morales, in P. Bourbeau (ed), Handbook on Migration and Security, Edward Elgar Publishing, pp. 273-295.
2013 “Tra vecchie e nuove identità. L’estrema destra in movimento [Between New and Old Identities: Mobilization and the Extreme Right]”, with G. Bulli, in L. Altieri e L. Raffini (eds), La Nuova Politica. Movimenti, Mobilitazioni e Conflitti in Italia, Napoli: EdiSes, pp 127-152.
- Castelli Gattinara, Pietro (2018). Dimensional issue competition on migration: a comparative analysis of public debates in Western Europe. Acta Politica. ISSN 0001-6810. s 1- 21 . doi: 10.1057/s41269-018-0088-y
- Castelli Gattinara Di Zubiena, Pietro (2017). Framing exclusion in the public sphere: Far-right mobilization and the debate on Charlie Hebdo in Italy. South European Society & Politics. ISSN 1360-8746. 22(3) . doi: 10.1080/13608746.2017.1374323
- Castelli Gattinara Di Zubiena, Pietro (2017). The ‘refugee crisis’ in Italy as a crisis of legitimacy. Contemporary Italian Politics. ISSN 2324-8823. 9(3) . doi: 10.1080/23248823.2017.1388639 Show summary
- Castelli Gattinara Di Zubiena, Pietro & Froio, Catarina (2015). Neo-fascist mobilization in contemporary Italy Ideology and repertoire of action of CasaPound Italia. Journal for Deradicalization. ISSN 2363-9849. 2(1)