The ARENA student grant
Through the student scholarship ARENA offers a workspace and supervision for MA students writing a thesis within our research field. The grants are announced annually.
The deadline for application for 2015/2016 is 20 September 2015.
About the student scholarships
ARENA offers 2-3 grants from October and until the end of the academic year. Successful applicants are expected to submit their MA thesis during the Spring term. Students enrolled in a Master’s programme within the social sciences, law and the humanities are entitled to apply.
ARENA-affiliated students become part of the academic collegium. The students will be offered a workspace at ARENA’s premises in Sognsveien 68 and are expected to participate in relevant joint activities at the centre.
Having an ARENA researcher as your (co-)supervisor is a requirement. In order to ensure that your project overlaps with ARENA’s research interests, you are encouraged to contact the relevant researcher(s) when preparing your project proposal. Consult the overview of ARENA researchers' areas of interest.
The grant amounts to NOK 20,000 (15,000 is transferred at the beginning of the period, the final 5,000 is paid upon the MA thesis’ completion).
The aim of the scholarship
By offering student scholarships, ARENA aims to:
- Encourage the production of MA theses contributing to increased research activity within ARENA’s prioritized fields
- Create interest in European Studies among MA students, and thereby strengthening the recruitment to the field
The application must contain:
- Application letter including information on the MA programme and supervisor(s)
- Certificates with recent marks
- A project outline with a time schedule (3-5 pages)
The application is to be sent by e-mail to Marit Eldholm
Deadline: 20 September 2015
We wish to attract students with projects holding a high academic standard. We will give preference to applicants with a combination of the following:
- Good marks
- A good project proposal
- A realistic time schedule
- A project overlapping with the research interests of at least one ARENA resarcher
The candidates will be selected by the ARENA research director, who may also be advised by other members of staff.
Rights and duties
The following requirements will apply to you as a student:
- Finish your MA thesis within the outlined time frame
- Contribute to relevant ARENA activities during your time at ARENA, including our regular Tuesday seminars
- Have your daily workspace at ARENA
You must be willing to present your work in an ARENA context. You may also be asked to contribute to the organisation of large academic conferences.
Your rights as a student are:
- Tuition by one of ARENA’s researchers
- A workspace alongside other ARENA students and research assistants.
- A grant of NOK 20,000
- Publication of your MA thesis in the ARENA report series (subject to an assessment by the ARENA research director).
ARENA retains the right to conclude or abbreviate the affiliation period in the absence of progress or should the agreement between the student and ARENA be violated.
Questions can be directed to Research Advisor Marit Eldholm.