The Rise of Common Political Order
Jarle Trondal is the editor of the newly published volume The Rise of Common Political Order. Institutions, Public Administration and Transnational Space. It brings together leading research focusing on the conditions for the formation of common political order in Europe.
About the book
The book aims to define common political order in conceptual terms, to study instances of order formation at different levels of governance and ultimately to comprehend how they profoundly challenge inherent political orders.
The book’s objectives are twofold: first, to explain institutional birth and growth, and second, and most importantly, to assess key effects of order formation. To what extent, and under which conditions, does common political order transform pre-existing political orders? In sum, the book discusses how we can assess theoretically and empirically the rise, stagnation and retrenchment of common political order in Europe. The authors expertly tackle these questions with empirical illustrations of emergent political orders at international, inter-regional and local levels.
1. Conceptualizing Common Political Order: An Introduction
PART I POLITICAL ORDER AT INTERNATIONAL LEVEL
2. A Research Agenda on International Public Administration
3. The Rise of international Public Administration: Observations from the International Atomic Energy Agency
4. The Rise of Independent Supranational Administration: The case of the European Union administration
5. The Rise of International Accountability Institutions: The case of the European Parliament and the European Ombudsman
Jarle Trondal, Anchrit Wille and Anne Elizabeth Stie
PART II POLITICAL ORDER AT THE MACRO-REGIONAL LEVEL
6. Macro-regional Strategies of the European Union: A new research agenda
Tobias Chilla, Stefan Gänzle, Franziska Sielker and Dominic Stead
7. Experimentalist Governance in a Multi-level Environment: The EU’s macro-regional strategies for the Baltic Sea and Danube regions
Stefan Gänzle and Jörg Mirtl
8. Priority Area Coordinators and Horizontal Action Leaders in the EU Strategy for the Baltic Sea Region: Trans-governmental networks and order formation in EU territorial cooperation
PART III POLITICAL ORDER AT THE LOCAL LEVEL
9. Governance at the Local Level: A research agenda on cross-boundary coordination
Dag Ingvar Jacobsen
10. Democratic Effects of Inter-Municipal Cooperation: Equal effects for all?
Dag Ingvar Jacobsen
11. Service Quality, Inter-municipal Cooperation and the Optimum Scale of Operation: The case of local fire departments in Norway
12. Breakdown of Inter-Organizational Cooperation: The case of regional councils in Norway
The Rise of Common Political Order. Institutions, Public Administration and Transnational Space
Edward Elgar Publishing, 2017