Jørgen Bølstad pursues research on a wide range of topics, generally related to European politics, political economy, public policy, political behavior, and democratic representation. His recent work includes articles on the Eurocrisis, as well as legislative decision-making and representation in the EU. He is interested in quantitative methods and specializes in time series analysis, techniques for drawing causal inferences based on observational data, maximum-likelihood and Bayesian analysis.
Bølstad holds an MSc in International Political Economy from the London School of Economics, and well as MRes and PhD degrees from the European University Institute in Florence, Italy. He has been a Fulbrigt scholar at Harvard University and a post-doctoral fellow at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology, in Zürich. He has taught a wide range of methods courses at the master’s and PhD levels, on topics such as research design and causal inference, essential mathematics and statistics, and time series analysis.
Bølstad currently works on a post doctoral project titled “The Eurozone crisis as a symptom and cause of economic and political segmentation”. This work is part of ARENA's project “Integration and division: Towards a segmented Europe?” (EuroDiv), and, in particular, the sub-project “Economic development as segmentation?”. Bølstad is also involved in a number of other international collaborations.
For further information, see Bølstad's webpage, at: www.boelstad.net.
- Bølstad, Jørgen (2017). Is there a rational public?, In Justin Fisher; Edward Fieldhouse; Mark N. Franklin; Rachel Gibson; Marta Cantijoch & Christopher Wlezien (ed.), The Routledge Handbook of Elections, Voting Behavior and Public Opinion. Routledge. ISBN 9781138890404. 30. s 383 - 393
- Bølstad, Jørgen & Dinas, Elias (2017). A Categorization Theory of Spatial Voting: How the Center Divides the Political Space. British Journal of Political Science. ISSN 0007-1234. 47(4), s 829- 850 . doi: 10.1017/S0007123415000393
- Bølstad, Jørgen & Elhardt, Christoph (2017). Capacity, Willingness, and Sovereign Default Risk: Reassuring the Market in Times of Crisis. Journal of Common Market Studies. ISSN 0021-9886. . doi: 10.1111/jcms.12620 Full text in Research Archive. Show summary
- Bølstad, Jørgen & Cross, James P. (2016). Not all treaties are created equal: the effects of treaty changes on legislative efficiency in the EU. Journal of Common Market Studies. ISSN 0021-9886. 54(4), s 793- 808 . doi: 10.1111/jcms.12349 Full text in Research Archive.
- Bølstad, Jørgen (2015). Dynamics of European Integration: Public Opinion in the Core and Periphery. European Union Politics. ISSN 1465-1165. 16(1), s 23- 44 . doi: 10.1177/1465116514551303
- Bølstad, Jørgen & Cross, James P. (2015). Openness and Censorship in the European Union: An Interrupted Time-Series Analysis. European Union Politics. ISSN 1465-1165. 16(2), s 216- 240 . doi: 10.1177/1465116514560066
- Bølstad, Jørgen & Elhardt, Christoph (2015). To Bail Out or Not to Bail Out? Crisis Politics, Credibility, and Default Risk in the Eurozone. European Union Politics. ISSN 1465-1165. 16(3), s 325- 346 . doi: 10.1177/1465116515575580
- Bølstad, Jørgen; Dinas, Elias & Riera, Pedro (2013). Tactical Voting and Party Preferences: A Test of Cognitive Dissonance Theory. Political Behavior. ISSN 0190-9320. 35(3), s 429- 452 . doi: 10.1007/s11109-012-9205-1
- Bølstad, Jørgen (2012). Thermostatic Voting: Presidential Elections in Light of New Policy Data. PS, Political Science & Politics. ISSN 1049-0965. 45(1), s 44- 50 . doi: 10.1017/S1049096511001697
- Bølstad, Jørgen (2017). Not So Similar After All? On Non-Convergence in the Eurozone.
- Bølstad, Jørgen (2016). Public Opinion and European Integration: How Leadership Creates the Illusion of Responsiveness.