Johanna Strikwerda's main academic interest is the Common Security and Defence Policy of the European Union. Her research project is on the acceptance and implementation of the first supranational legislation in the CSDP, the Defence and Security Procurement Directive (2009/81 EC).
Higher education and employment history
Johanna holds an MA degree in International Relations from the University of Groningen. As part of her BA (same university) she studied at the Bilkent University in Ankara, Turkey. Following from this experience her MA thesis addressed the security cooperation and socialization between the EU and Turkey.
Strikwerda's PhD project is called 'Pushing the boundaries of intergovernmentalism? The role of the Commission in the Common Security and Defence Policy'
- Strikwerda, Johanna (2016). Sovereignty at Stake? The European Commission's proposal for a Defence and Security Procurement Directive. European Security. ISSN 0966-2839. 26(1), s 19- 36 . doi: 10.1080/09662839.2016.1255198 Full text in Research Archive
- Strikwerda, Johanna (2017, 08. mars). NRK Urix spesial: Nederlands høyrenasjonalist. [TV].
- Strikwerda, Johanna (2017). Unexpected compliance? The implementation of the Defence and Security Procurement Directive.
- Strikwerda, Johanna & Stolt-Nielsen, Harald (2017, 06. oktober). Nederlandske politikere har forhandlet om ny regjering i over 200 dager. Mandag kan de slå egen rekord . Aftenposten.
- Strikwerda, Johanna (2014). Member state sovereignty at stake? The Commission’s proposal for a Defence and Security Procurement Directive.
- Strikwerda, Johanna (2012, 12. september). Dagsnytt 18, 'Valget i Nederland'. [Radio].