ARENA has been granted NOK 24 million from the Research Council of Norway for a cross-disciplinary project to investigate a more segmented Europe.
EPISTO inquires into the role of knowledge and expertise in modern democracies with a particular focus on 'epistocratic' developments in the European Union (epistocracy = rule of the knowers).
To round up the 'Europe in crises'-conference a panel debate was held on 15 March 2013 on the future and democratic legitimacy of the European Union.
It is trivial to say that the European Union is going through an existential crisis. But which crisis? Whose crisis?, Agustín J. Menéndez writes.
Jan-Werner Müller from Princeton University gave the lecture 'Fear and Freedom: The Legacies of Mid-Twentieth-Century Liberalism' on 22 October.
Originally intended as a celebration of MacCormick’s work this book has turned into a homage and salute after MacCormick’s passing.
RECON's outreach conference in November presented findings from 5 years of research. See the whole seminar here.
Democracy has historically developed at a national level but, with increasing internationalisation of politics, does the concept need re-working?
The Dutch journalist Geert Mak presented a powerful wake up call for us, citizens of the West, regarding our self-images and the need to revise them.
The European Union has given rise to important constitutional conundrums and paradoxes, as John Erik Fossum and Agustín José Menéndez explore in detail in their new book, 'The Constitution's Gift'.
Professor Emeritus Johan P. Olsen is one of Norway’s most prominent, most renowned and most cited social scientists.
– My new book is an attempt to understand not only what is happening in political science and institutional analysis, but also an attempt to understand what I have been doing over the last 40 years.
Controversial political debates may affect the course of European integration as mass media empower national parliamentarians in EU decision-making.
The staff of the so-called cabinets of the European Commission are more multinational than before.
How does an agency balance between being a professional information provider as well as an institutional watchdog?
- The European Commission is a unique ‘laboratory’ for supranational institution building Mar 20, 2013
- Nationalism is the last refuge of the bankers Mar 14, 2013
- European Integration in the Context of Law Jan 4, 2013
- New platform for studies of political representation in Europe Dec 14, 2012
- Fossum holds keynote speech at EUI Oct 25, 2012