What are the democratic implications for Norway, Switzerland and other third countries of being affiliated EU non-members?
European citizens have been humiliated by how the Eurozone crisis has been handled, Erik O. Eriksen claims in a recent book.
Norway lacks fundamental debates and distinct political alternatives, Johan P. Olsen states in his latest book.
Helene Sjursen has been awarded a prize for the most downloaded special issue by the Journal of European Public Policy.
'For those of us working with European issues it is crucial to understand not only what is happening in Europe, but also why it happens. ARENA contributes to this', Europe Minister Vidar Helgesen said.
With Euroscepticism on the rise and increased contestation over the EU as a political entity, will the 2014 European Parliament elections become more politicized than ever?
The EU financial crisis has pushed thousands of citizens to migrate in a bid to escape uncertainty, unemployment and poverty. Many pick Norway as their destination. What are their experiences?
Does Europe, which has been key to the development of the Norwegian Constitution and democracy, constitute the biggest threat against constitutional democracy in Norway today?
Southern Europe has been severely struck by the financial crisis, in social as well as political terms. How has the crisis been handled, and could it have been done differently?
ARENA has been granted NOK 24 million from the Research Council of Norway for a cross-disciplinary project to investigate a more segmented Europe.
Around 60 participants contributed to the kick-off conference of the EPISTO project, which is led by Cathrine Holst.
The 'Europe in crises'-conference gathered prominent international scholars as well as practitioners to discuss the EU crisis.
EPISTO inquires into the role of knowledge and expertise in modern democracies with a particular focus on 'epistocratic' developments in the European Union (epistocracy = rule of the knowers).
It is trivial to say that the European Union is going through an existential crisis. But which crisis? Whose crisis?, Agustín J. Menéndez writes.
Jan-Werner Müller from Princeton University gave the lecture 'Fear and Freedom: The Legacies of Mid-Twentieth-Century Liberalism' on 22 October.
Originally intended as a celebration of MacCormick’s work this book has turned into a homage and salute after MacCormick’s passing.
RECON's outreach conference in November presented findings from 5 years of research. See the whole seminar here.
Democracy has historically developed at a national level but, with increasing internationalisation of politics, does the concept need re-working?
The Dutch journalist Geert Mak presented a powerful wake up call for us, citizens of the West, regarding our self-images and the need to revise them.
The European Union has given rise to important constitutional conundrums and paradoxes, as John Erik Fossum and Agustín José Menéndez explore in detail in their new book, 'The Constitution's Gift'.
Professor Emeritus Johan P. Olsen is one of Norway’s most prominent, most renowned and most cited social scientists.
– My new book is an attempt to understand not only what is happening in political science and institutional analysis, but also an attempt to understand what I have been doing over the last 40 years.
Controversial political debates may affect the course of European integration as mass media empower national parliamentarians in EU decision-making.
The staff of the so-called cabinets of the European Commission are more multinational than before.
How does an agency balance between being a professional information provider as well as an institutional watchdog?
- New specialisation: Central and Eastern European Studies: Research Track Sep 3, 2014
- Habermas and Eriksen on democracy in Europe Aug 27, 2014
- Paradoxes of EU non-membership Jul 10, 2014
- ARENA Annual Report 2013 Jun 30, 2014
- Call for papers: Deliberation after consensus May 12, 2014
- The dynamics of European regulatory regimes in higher education: Challenged prerogatives and evolutionary change Sep 16, 2014
- Confronting European Diversity Sep 16, 2014
- Reform, synsing og allmenninteresser Sep 3, 2014
- Sykkelteorien, EU og Norge Sep 3, 2014
- New threats – different response Aug 26, 2014
- European Flagship Universities (FLAGSHIP)
- Integration and division: Towards a segmented Europe? (EuroDiv)
- Research and Expertise in Society
- The European crisis and the citizens
- The Norwegian Constitution in a Changing European Context (NORCONE)
- Why not epistocracy? Political legitimacy and 'the fact of expertise' (EPISTO)